Our Mark on the Earth

The gift of nature is perfect. In nature, we can see a beautiful reflection of something divine. The Earth harbors daily miracles: the celestial scenes of the sky, the endless oceans of the underwater world, the diverse and wonderful myriads of life, and the landscapes that are utterly breathtaking. Having been so perfect, what men have done to the world is so much more of a terrible crime. Mankind, gifted thought it is, has marred the once untarnished face and soul of our planet.

Our nature doesn’t allow us to blend in with the complex order and disorder of the natural world. There is nothing wrong with this; it is who we are as humans. We like to stay at a distance from nature. But instead of following this desire to be apart from the land, we sought to dominate it. And I’m afraid that the cost of this is that the Earth is slowly dying at our hands.

People have let their desire for comfort and greed to overrun their ancient respect for the world around them. Men have the arrogance to claim the world as their own, not realizing we are simply children of it. We have no right to divide up the land for ourselves. We have no right to poison the air and water just so we can have petty material things. We have no right to ‘tame’ the wilderness. We can’t cut down entire forests that have much more right to stand than our buildings do.

Mistreating our planet like this has caused us to lose much reverence for natural beauty. We don’t spot the Earth for what it is: a God-given miracle. While only some of us are guilty of tearing down the land, the rest are guilty of not caring and averting our eyes from the destruction. We pretend it’s not happening.

Mankind is indescribably wonderful, but it’s not more important than nature. We need to learn how to live in harmony with it instead of trying to rise above it. The first step is to truly appreciate nature and all of its beauty. This way, when you stand before a landscape, you won’t want to tear it down to build a mall. When you find a rare species of animals, you won’t kill them for your collection. When you look at the sky, you won’t treat it like empty space to be filled with pollution. When you are knee-deep in water, you won’t want to do offshore drilling. The life, health, and last hope of the Earth sit on decisions like this.

Do what’s best for the world; it’s much more important than you think it is. It’ll take a while, but we can undo the damage that we have done. Then the Lorax and all of his friends may come back. ;).

Best of luck to our great home.

Aderes18 said...
Jul. 23, 2011 at 12:45 am:
Very beautiful picture. :)

Aderes18 said...
Jul. 23, 2011 at 12:44 am:

There is still hope. More and more people are becoming aware of this. There are lots of laws protecting Mother Earth. Our Earth is better now than it was 25 years ago.

Have hope, ThesilentRaven!

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jul. 23, 2011 at 11:04 am :

Many thanks, that's very encouraging.

I must try to have hope!

IamtheStargirl said...
I shared this on my Facebook, thought you might like to know :)

Sept. 20, 2010 at 5:26 pm :
YAY! I'm a little more part of the twenty first century! I have no portable technology. My only online account is Teen Ink; my only email is for school. Thank you for doing so; that's very kind of you.

IamtheStargirl replied...
Sept. 20, 2010 at 6:14 pm :
You're welcome :) I'm glad it gave you joy.

LondonEye This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

I'm glad that somebody wrote about this. I feel such sympathy for poor old Mother Nature.  The way we've abused and exploited her is a true crime. 

I, too, am a vegetarian and a "violently enthusiastic advocate for nonviolence" as you put it in your little About Me box. I really enjoy your work!

Sept. 13, 2010 at 7:15 pm :
I'm delighted to read your comment, Ms. Londoner. Yes, Mother Nature is sorely mistreated, and I'm glad that you're sympathetic for her cause. Long live the Earth!

Jesse H. said...

there's oine thing that's wrong that I want to point out :P

We're fighting a desperate war with Earth9which Earth dpesn't even intend to fight. Self defense I may suggest) and the thing is, we're going to lost! There's no way that we can destroy and "kill" a chunck on massive iron ball :P

Anyways, great writing and good job!

Jesse

Sept. 6, 2010 at 6:15 pm :
True, we cannot kill the Earth, but we can ruin the life that exists upon it. We aren't fighting a war with it, we are just inadvertently harming it. Thanks for commenting!

K.T.S. said...
Aug. 27, 2010 at 10:57 am:
This was a piece written very well! I love the order and disorder of nature. Humans are humans. Everything is beautiful as it is. But others tear it down for convenience. Stupidity runs this world sometimes. Opulent piece! Its perfect, like "the gift of nature".

Aug. 27, 2010 at 6:28 pm :
Thank you very much for commenting and for your heartfelt compliment. Yes, I'm glad that it seems that we are of one mind. Long live... the Earth!

savetheplanet replied...
Aug. 8, 2011 at 9:16 pm :
I shared this on gmail as well to try and get it out there.  I really liked the reference to the Lorax.  It was always my favorite story by Dr. Suess. :D

Aug. 9, 2011 at 11:30 am :

That's great. Spread the word, man! A thousand thanks.

Yeah? Mine too.