Global Warming | Teen Ink

Global Warming

June 16, 2010
By Zachary Liu BRONZE, Holmdel, New Jersey
Zachary Liu BRONZE, Holmdel, New Jersey
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Global warming: the modern crisis of the 21st century. Our cars, trucks, buses, factories, and many other things spew millions of tons of carbon dioxide (CO2) into the sky. Animals, especially the large population of cows, emit methane gas, which is 25 times as potent as carbon dioxide. How can such a prominent issue be constantly ignored? The signs and clues are everywhere.

Everyone remembers Hurricane Katrina. On August 29, 2005, the powerful and deadly category 5 storm made landfall near New Orleans, Louisiana. Within a matter of hours, the town was destroyed, killing thousands of people and costing billions of dollars in damage. The storm occurred during an especially active hurricane season. What caused this incredible storm to wreck havoc and complete destruction on the busy city? You guessed it, global warming. Scientists continue to predict more and more powerful storms as our atmosphere continues to increase in temperature. Be sure to expect more intense weather in the future if we maintain this trend of pollution.

Why do people pollute the skies? People don’t see the consequences of their actions. They also do not care about the environment, and our planet’s future. By ignoring the facts and continuing to pollute, we are simply passing on the burden of fixing this dilemma to the next generation. Global warming should not be inherited.

Not only are we creating a problem for the human race, we also affect wildlife. Another contribution to global warming is the elimination of forests, which results in less oxygen produced from the carbon dioxide in the air. These trees also provide a home for many animals, which are now losing their homes and even their lives. You wouldn’t tear down millions of people’s homes, so why should we do the same for animals?

When we heat up the atmosphere, this obviously results in an increase in temperatures worldwide. A direct consequence of this is the melting glacial ice. Icebergs are melting, creating more water, raising the sea level, causing massive flooding. It’s similar to the opposite of the ice age, as everything is now melting. This is not a hypothesis; it is clearly visible and prominently seen in the Arctic area.
Now is not the time to argue about the “myth” of global warming. Now is the time for action. Stop pollution; save the world.