Can't Stop the Spill, Stop Us | Teen Ink

Can't Stop the Spill, Stop Us

June 8, 2010
By Athenaollie BRONZE, Seattle, Washington
Athenaollie BRONZE, Seattle, Washington
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

This oil spill is getting ridiculous. It has caused so much damage, ruined so much wild life, and yet they say that it cannot be stopped. Coupled with this, the fact that it is not unprecedented makes me cringe at how much in all we have and will seriously damage Earth. The only way to ensure this will not happen again is to stop using oil. But how?

We could follow the plan as described in the article to pay a little extra for gas. This might work, but what about the people who are already struggling to make ends meet? Or those who need to be able to get to work on time or will loose their job, but no public buses are available? However, the slow increase of cost would give enough time to get accustomed to using cars less or not at all, or using renewable fuels. It would also begin to pay off our huge and equally ridiculous debt.

Really, if we cannot completely stop using harmful fuels, we will just have another spill that we cannot clean up. These mistakes just make the possibility of destroying our Earth closer and closer to reality.