Can't Stop the Spill, Stop Us | Teen Ink

Can't Stop the Spill, Stop Us

By Athenaollie BRONZE, Seattle, Washington
Athenaollie BRONZE, Seattle, Washington

This oil spill is getting ridiculous. It has caused so much damage, ruined so much wild life, and yet they say that it cannot be stopped. Coupled with this, the fact that it is not unprecedented makes me cringe at how much in all we have and will seriously damage Earth. The only way to ensure this will not happen again is to stop using oil. But how?

We could follow the plan as described in the article to pay a little extra for gas. This might work, but what about the people who are already struggling to make ends meet? Or those who need to be able to get to work on time or will loose their job, but no public buses are available? However, the slow increase of cost would give enough time to get accustomed to using cars less or not at all, or using renewable fuels. It would also begin to pay off our huge and equally ridiculous debt.

Really, if we cannot completely stop using harmful fuels, we will just have another spill that we cannot clean up. These mistakes just make the possibility of destroying our Earth closer and closer to reality.

on Jul. 21 2010 at 12:33 pm
Thesilentraven PLATINUM, Mableton, Georgia

"il piu nell' uno," (according to Emerson, an Italian expression for beauty)

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" ~Emily Dickinson

"The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain"
~Kahlil Gibran

This is very true; the oil spill is nothing short of a disaster. It harmed countless numbers of animals in the Gulf Coast and on the beaches along the shore. Despite what people say, I doubt that the blame lies with BP but with humanity and what it's doing to the world.

The only solution is to make our dependence on oil disappear. And this will put people out of jobs, but it seems that we are in a mess and well will make a mess trying to get out of it.

JessieB SILVER said...
on Jun. 30 2010 at 10:14 am
JessieB SILVER, Elkton, Maryland

an eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind~Ghandi

This oil spill isn't getting ridiculous. it's past ridiculous. it's a nightmare. and the worst part is, that it's been going on for months. it's like no one cares! 

on Jun. 27 2010 at 8:35 pm
MCoryDuplantier BRONZE, Baker, Louisiana

" Sometimes saying goodbye or letting go is the right thing to do. It doesn't mean that you are too weak to hold on but you are strong enough to let go!"

Ankit D.

Like really soon they'll be trying to save all the fresh water. Its goanna get to the artic poles and then up the rivers into ponds and evaporated so it'll have its own little cycle.