Food industry | Teen Ink

Food industry

I've recently seen the movie Food Inc. It's a documentary about the food we eat like mainly meat and what they actually do to produce the food we eat. So going into the movie I thought okay maybe I can handle this, it won't be so bad.

I was a vegetarian for maybe like about five months, but my body got sick and I lost a lot of weight and I just got really sick in general for an entire summer. So seeing this movie didn't gross me out, at first.

Our meat producers like Tyson for example, takes most of the meat that's killed. Industries such as McDonalds, Wendy's, and Burger King also take most of the meat packed. What do we get? The nasty meat that's left over. So many people rely on the fast food industry to take care them, giving them a fast meal but it's all really bad for you.

Even though organic food is so expensive it's so much better for you and it can save you a lot, health wise. Eating fast food, it can make you gain a lot of weight but also you spend so much money on it, that you waster all of money then oh, you can get type II Diabetes. Not something fun you want to have for the rest of your life.

Back to the animals that we kill for food, they're kept in cages. It's almost like a concentration camp for animals. Small spaces, too many chickens, cows, and pigs. Then they are fiendishly thrown into trucks and on their way to the slaughterhouse.
Their throats are cut, they're hung from ceilings and then bleed to death. It's extremely cruel the way these industries are killing their animals. I understand that we need food, it's apart of the food chain to eat and meat is a protein that are body needs in order to function. But honestly, can't the food industry just kill the animals in a not so violent way? Shot in the head? Maybe? It's unnecessary the way the animals are killed. They don't need to be tortured and still alive while they're feet are hooked into hooks and they are still alive. Just completely unnecessary.