Sea Level Rise | Teen Ink

Sea Level Rise

June 8, 2010
By Anonymous

In 2005 two of the Pacific Island Nations of Kiribati’s 32 atolls have gone underwater because the oceans’ sea levels are rising due to global warming. This is important because it is the most recent event to occur and also it was the event that got people’s attention about this topic. Global warming and rising sea levels can eventually lead to coastal flooding.






One of the biggest reasons for the sea level rising is that global warming is causing warmer temperatures and ice-caps and glaciers are melting. Sea levels rising would effect 70% of the world’s population and 11 of the 15 biggest cities in the world because they are located on the coast. Over the last century the sea level has risen five to six inches and it is expected to rise 0.6 to two feet in the next century. The most important causes of global warming and the levels of the oceans rising are greenhouse gases, including carbon dioxide, methane, and nitrous oxide. The gases are destroying the atmosphere, causing the temperature to rise.






Scientists have been able to figure out some consequences of rising sea levels around the globe. One of the things we could expect is many important resources needed for islands and costal cities/towns like beaches, fisheries, coral reefs, atolls, wildlife habitats, salt marshes and mangroves would be gone. Also, if the water source to a town or cities’ drinking water is within feet of the ocean, the ocean water will contaminate it, causing it to be undrinkable. Some countries like Thailand, Israel, China, and Vietnam are already experiencing water contamination. Another consequence would be that the world’s largest cities like New York and London will be underwater. The city of Alexandria, Egypt would be flooded if the ocean rose more than a meter. The water would flood over the wall in between the ocean and the city. The people of Alexandria are beginning to think that building the sea wall higher is unpractical. If the water does rise just about one meter some island nations would be submerged. Rural population and farms would be wiped out.


There are many things that the government can do to prevent global warming from continuing to occur, like working with and encouraging large businesses to use greener methods of work. Some things we can do to prevent this issue include recycling things the can be recycled or reusing things that can be reused, like donating them or using them for something else. We can replace your incandescent light bulbs with florescent bulbs because they last longer and are better for the earth. These are just a few things we can do to help prevent global warming and rising sea levels. So let’s get started!