Deforestation: The Slaughter Of Mother Nature | Teen Ink

Deforestation: The Slaughter Of Mother Nature

By Sanjana Ghosh BRONZE, Manila, Other
Sanjana Ghosh BRONZE, Manila, Other

Deforestation is not only destroying the environment, it’s killing us.
Due to the lack of trees, the environment and human beings suffer on a daily basis unaware that every single day we are cutting down land filled with tree, the size of New York City, every single day. We’re wasting resources and limiting the number of years we will have leftwith the existence of trees. No tree means no resources and no oxygen this results with the extinction of mankind. Scientists believe trees will vanish in the next century and a quarter. This leaves very littlie time for us to make a change.
Once, rainforests covered 14% of the earth, now a mere 6% cover the earth and experts predict these rainforests will be consumed in less than 40 years. Although, what difference does it make if trees are cut down? What consequences do we face if fungi and other microorganisms perish? Human beings need to start understanding the importance of rainforests, because without them we may face the worst ecological disaster known to man.
The rapid loss of rainforests creates drastic changes in the climate and eco-systems, which human beings will have to face. The main focus shouldn’t be conserving one specific animal species or tree but on , in a few decades there is the potential for mankind to lose much more. We are risking the quality of life and the quality of air. People fail to realize that trees act as an essential filter that cleans the air we breathe. It is a natural filter that keeps the air pure and converts carbon dioxide that comes from humans into oxygen that enables us to breathe and live.
‘Oxygen is the most abundant chemical element, by mass, in our biosphere, air, sea and land.’ - Dr. Nitish Priyadarshi
Dr. Nitish Priyadarshi, a highly qualified and valued professor of ecology, who has written several accounts and articles on the importance of rainforests, that talk about why they need to be preserved. This quote shows that without oxygen human beings and other biodiversity (living creatures) on this planet cannot survive and will eventually face extinction. Oxygen is supplied to billions of creatures such as human beings. Other various animals including those found in the ocean as well as those on land depend on it. Oxygen is needed for eco-systems and we have a consequential amount made this day. Human beings have no choice but to alter this and begin planting more trees than they are consuming in order for this planed to survive and maintain a balance within the eco-systems
This is one of the crucial reasons for why we need to start preserving and growing more trees because without it there is simply no oxygen and no way to survive.
The Europeans started clearing forests around 500 years ago unaware of the costs and consequences would leave for future generations: a lack of resources and climatic problems. Due to the large demand for timber and other tree-related products today some of the most abundant forests in New Zealand and Australian were cut down when the Europeans had reigned over them. We know that deforestation started hundreds of years ago and at that time deforestation wasn’t even considered a problem, let a lone a word, because of the actions human beings have taken by cutting down billions of trees, human beings are facing the extinction of trees and mankind itself.
One and a half acres of rainforests are cut down every second for industrial development, a fatal toll for the environment. Two acres hold seven hundred fifty types of trees and one thousand five hundred higher plant species, this means that every second of the day, of the minute we are destroying the environment and biodiversity at the seams. People can’t see that rainforests are interdependent. When one tree is cut down it is the loss of a habitat, less carbon absorption and a step into soil depletion. It affects the whole forest and it eventually leads to the death of Mother Nature.
Now that you know about the consequences human beings face from deforestation in this generation, you must wonder what difference will this information I know make? What can I do to stop deforestation? What can I do to make my environment cleaner?
There are several ways to make a change and reduce the amount of trees we consume every day and one highly effective way is recycling. Recycling the paper you have finished using by putting them in recycling bins and not disposing of them by putting them with your finished milk cartoon that will be disposed into lakes and pits, can help the environment greatly. One example is the newspaper that is delivered to your house every morning. To produce each week's Sunday newspapers, 500,000 trees must be cut down, recycling a single run of the Sunday New York Times would save 75,000 trees. Just imagine, if you recycle your newspaper everyday of the week you save 525,000 trees, a week. One simple action can make a difference to your life and the environment YOU live in.
Another way is to sing petitions against deforestation. Signing a petition is a step into a cleaner, sustainable environment. It’s a way to get people and the government aware of our concerns for trees and the environment and with it we can make a change. Click this link to sign up. http://www.petitiononline.com/4everADS/petition.html
If you want to take a more physical action and strongly believe that trees and plants need to be grown for the well being of this planet build a community garden, or you could simply plant a tree in your backyard. One tree means more oxygen and a better quality of life.
Make a change! Recycle your newspaper, sign a petition, plant a tree! When you save a tree you save the lives of future generations.
Visit http://www.treesftf.org/ for more information,

I had to write this piece for a project I have in my school called arguing for change. We had to write a persuasive article to convince readers to follow the opinion or view we chose. Additionally we had to post it on a blog or site for people to see and become more aware of the issue I chose which is Deforestation. This article tries to persuade the reader to go anti-deforestation and take an action to better the environment and improve the quality of life. Thank you! and remember that when you plant a tree you save lives.