OMG It's Global Warming | Teen Ink

OMG It's Global Warming

April 8, 2010
By vanilladream BRONZE, Kansas City, Missouri
vanilladream BRONZE, Kansas City, Missouri
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Global warming is something that everyone is thinking about. There has been a lot of talk about it, but what are the facts about it? Why do we need to worry, and isn’t it just some distant prophecy? We are all wondering what it is exactly? What it is, is the warming of the planet, or more specifically an increase in the average in worldwide temperature.

What caused global warming? Scientists think that there are multiple causes to it. The natural cycle of the earth is contributing to it but also greenhouse gasses are a big cause, GHGs for short. We emit GHGs by using gas in our cars, factories making stuff, and using electricity. CO2 gasses are also a big factor. Since humans are killing trees that used to absorb CO2, there is even more of it in the air. Methane is another cause. Some places it comes from are landfills and agriculture.

The earth is warming by like, a degree, why is that so bad, you might be thinking. Oh sure it does not seem so bad, but the truth is we are all going to DIE! No, not really, but if we don’t stop it we might. Here are five things that could go wrong with the earth warming. Sea levels could rise and put the entire east coast under water. Hurricanes could become stronger, floods and droughts could be more common and less fresh water available. Imagine you can’t take your hour long shower anymore, the world is coming to an end! Also there won’t be any more ice at the north and south poles. Looks like Santa is going to have to find somewhere else cold to live. I am not saying that these would all happen, but there is an old saying that says, everything that could go wrong, will go wrong. Keep that in mind when you think that global warming isn’t your problem and won’t affect anything.

Would you like to know the top five most polluted cities in the world? No, you said? Well too bad, because I am going to tell you! At the top of our list, drum roll please, the city is…..Linfen, China! They are the most polluted city in the world, way to go! Let’s all try to be like them! No, I was kidding, it would be tremendously horrible if every city was as polluted as them. Second is…… Tianying, China, somehow I am not surprised it is China, again. No offence to anybody out there. The third on the list of horribly polluted cities is, Sukinda, India. Good job India, you made your way on to our list too! The fourth most polluted city award goes to…..Vaip, India! India and China must be so proud, they each have their names twice on our list of yucky cities! The last city is… wait for it, wait for it, La Oroya, Peru! Yay, Peru is on our list, I just absolutely adore Peru! China, India, and Peru have each earned an award for one of the most polluted cities. Wow, I’m completely and utterly shocked that the U.S.A isn’t on the list, in the mean while let’s try to keep it that way shall we?

What do you think of the cities on the list? That was a question not meant for you, but merely for me to make you think that I cared about your opinion! Ha, I’m so very clever aren’t I? No, no I do care about your opinion, but since you aren’t writing this you can’t put your opinion in can you? That was another rhetorical question. Now let’s get back to the original question about the cities on the list. It would be absolutely horrible to be on that list. Could you imagine living in one of the most polluted cities in the world? What can we do so we don’t end up like those poor saps on the list? Well I have three ways that can help!

For example try changing a light, you might help the whole entire world! Replace your old not energy efficient light bulbs with Energy Star bulbs. Changing one might not seem like it would help the world, but try it, you might be surprised. Along with helping the world, you can save money on bills. Who doesn’t need a little extra cash nowadays? If everyone in the U.S.A changed five light bulbs we could prevent GHGs equivalent to 10 MILLION cars, a lot isn’t it?

Second, if you buy new microwaves, fringes, ovens, etcetera, buy energy star products. They have great features and you can help the environment. To help the environment you don’t have to compromise on the quality and performance of your stuff.

Last reduce, reuse, and recycle, the three R’s. Most of us have recycling programs in our neighborhood, those blue bins, right? Not all of us use them, I know. It is such a simple way to help the environment. If you just toss your recyclable trash into the bin. Also to help the environment, buy recycled stuff, like paper and green bags. By doing these simple tasks we can reduce greenhouse emissions and help our planet.
Global warming is a real issue and isn’t going to go away on its own. Before it destroys our planet, we have to stop it. There are many things that you can do every day that men will make a big impact on stopping global warming. If we try hard enough we can help mother earth.


The author's comments:
Everyone should know about Global Warming.