Clean Water Crisis | Teen Ink

Clean Water Crisis

By Jessica Lipchak BRONZE, Pittsburgh, Mississippi
Jessica Lipchak BRONZE, Pittsburgh, Mississippi

Clean water. I haven’t even noticed how my life would be if I could not go to the water fountain and take a drink. Since water is a necessity of humans and other organism, not having water in my faucet is a scary thing to imagine. A person living in Sub-Saharan Africa uses about 10-20 (2.6-5.26 gallons) liters of water a day; on average, a Canadian uses 326 liters (86 gallons) a day. People in America, along with myself, and other well developed countries take this fortune, of clean water, for granted.
While pipes carrying clean water in developed countries can leak up to 70% of cleaned water; nearly 1 billion people in other parts of the world still don't have access to clean drinking water. All of those people live the reality of the clean water scarce.
Water is not a luxury. It isn’t a substance made by man to make our lives easier or more entertaining. The human body is made up of about 60% water and without available clean water to drink death is inevitable. People who are fortune enough to have accessible clean water to drink and wash with should be more conservative of the amounts they use, such as turning off the faucet while brushing your teeth.
People who wish to help can donate time or money to certain organizations. If anyone is interested in making donations or furthering their knowledge on the clean water crisis please visit any of the following sites. www.thewaterproject.org , www.haitiwater.org, www.cleanwaterfund.org .