The Disappearing Earth | Teen Ink

The Disappearing Earth

By jthomas BRONZE, Kansas City, Kansas
jthomas BRONZE, Kansas City, Kansas

The trees of a tropical rainforest are so densely packed that rain falling on the canopy can take as long as 10 minutes to reach the ground. Yet somehow, there is a football field of rainforest destroyed every second. There are many tribes and there are many resources.
There are hundreds even thousands of tribes in the rainforest with many types of huts and dwellings. The people of the rainforest hunt animals. Also, since there are tons of rivers and lakes, they fish a lot. In addition to eating meats, they grow their own food.
A typical four square mile patch of rainforest contains as many as 1,500 flowering plants, 750 species of trees, 400 species of birds and 150 species of butterflies. Every year, more than 56,000 square miles of rainforest lost. This means that every year 84 million plants are killed, 42 million species of trees are cut down, and 22.4 million species of birds are either killed or forced to move homes.
The rainforest provides timber, coffee, cocoa and many medicinal products, including those used in the treatment of cancer. In fact, more than 2,000 tropical forest plants have been identified by scientists as having anti-cancer properties. There are rainforests in every continent besides Antarctica. It is believed that over 50% of the world's species of plants and animals are found in the rainforest.
The rainforest is obviously a part of everyday life, so if people would stop taking shortcuts, we would have much more for the near future.

Denali.B. BRONZE, Calgary, Other

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing that you don't put it in a fruit salad." - Unknown Source

I completly agree with your statements, i understand what we people are doing to the world, and I hope others will read your article and realize how bad it really is in the world.