Deforestation | Teen Ink

Deforestation MAG

By Anonymous

      There are many problemsfacing the environment, nearly all of which can be blamed on people. With itsgrowing population, the planet's resources are rapidly disappearing. If theseproblems are not solved, Earth could eventually be rendered unfit for habitation.Such a catastrophe would take many years, but if efforts are not made now, itseems quite inevitable. As a lover of nature, the problem that concerns me mostis deforestation.

The demand for paper and lumber has leveled foreststhroughout the world, posing a threat for many reasons. Trees, like all plants,supply the world with the oxygen that is vital to maintain life. With airpollution from factories and refineries, it stands to reason that we need as muchfresh oxygenated air as we can obtain. Deforestation poses a very real threat tothe well-being of humankind.

The threat is not limited to people. We havedriven many species into extinction for our own benefit. The shame of such a featshould be enough to motivate any self-respecting human to do his or her part forthe good of the planet. The number of species on Earth dwindles with each day,which is truly a sad occurrence.

Governments and private organizationshave taken measures to combat this worldwide threat. So far, the best solutionappears to be recycling. It seems quite apparent that promoting this idea is notgoing to be enough at its present rate. Therefore, I see no disadvantage inmaking recycling required by law.

It is not too much to ask of theAmerican people to help dig out of this hole we have allowed ourselves to fallinto. I also believe that hitting litterbugs with ungodly fines would greatlyreduce the waste of paper and other recyclable materials.

Deforestationis only one of many threats to the environment. These threats must be neutralizedso that future generations of all species will be able to enjoy life on thisplanet. It is our duty to right the wrongs that have been committed. All we cando is hope that the general population will open its eyes and see the fate thatawaits its children and grandchildren.






JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 0 comments.