The End of Humanity

While we sit in comfort at our computers or televisions, a disaster is looming. Hidden deep, in the bowels of space, is a comet moving at unimaginable speeds towards our planet. If not a comet, then an asteroid. Either way a disaster is coming. The Earths orbit is slowly moving towards the sun. Eventually, our planet will burn up. And never forget global warming. Our planet will fall and we will fall with it. Did you know that the dinosaurs were the third or fourth mass extinction? It will happen eventually.
That isn't what's bothering me, though. What bothers me is that we're bringing it on ourselves. Why don't smokers stop smoking even though they know it will kill them? It's addicting. Well humanity, as a species, has become addicted to wasting, killing, and destroying. We know we are just killing of our descendants... but we don’t stop. Maybe we just don't care anymore. Maybe we're convinced that we'll live. Maybe we don't want to face the facts. But the fact is simple. Humanity is going to die, so let's let it last as long as possible. I want to live knowing I didn’t hurt the world more than I have to.
No...I'm not asking you to live in a cardboard box, and avoid all technology. I'm simply hoping you'll know what's right and be careful. Because our doom is rapidly approaching, and YOU can stop it. So try.

BelmaH said...
Jan. 6, 2010 at 7:38 am
Well written and persuasive. you bring up a very thought-provoking and very real issue. i agree with you completely, i lose sleep at night over this (ok maybe not lose sleep but it does concern me!)

arElana replied...
Thanks. And just for everyone to know, the end is not inevitable if we get advanced enough to move more into space. Technology isn't all bad, but fossil fuels are most defidently bad