Environmental Solutions | Teen Ink

Environmental Solutions

April 1, 2024
By CatchyCatKeeps1t BRONZE, Sussex, Wisconsin
CatchyCatKeeps1t BRONZE, Sussex, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

If I had access to anything I needed to help the world, the first thing I would do is research. I would look at statistics for the population of animals and their habitats. This would give me a better understanding of how to help save species and the necessities they require.


I would have people enter the areas they inhabit currently, and see what changes I can make that would benefit all creatures in the area. This could be anything from relocating certain species to terraforming the land. Along with that, I would create systems to temporarily protect endangered species. This way I could work on a better, more permanent solution, without having to worry about population numbers decreasing.


One thing to remember is that some species aren’t meant to live in a certain place. Take jumping worms (Amynthas Agrestis), for example. They’re a type of earthworm that hitched a ride through some sort of vessel, and now slowly take over. They eat the food sources, and push other earthworms out. Because of how fast jumping worms eat, they aren’t even able to give the nutrients back to the soil, like the other species of worms do. This ruins the balance of the environment, and removing them would benefit many other species, not just other soil creatures. 


Other invasive species are the same way. That being said, many habitats and species would benefit from the invasive species being transported back to the areas they belong in. 


Once I’ve researched, changed the format of the land, and removed invasive species, I’ll be able to more directly help each animal. I would set up reserves for the animals where each type will thrive in a more controlled environment. Plus, I would use the DNR system to monitor species in the wild, and if numbers continue to decrease, I would check out the situation personally.


However, my system would help keep numbers more balanced, and it would protect many different species of animals.