ocean pollution | Teen Ink

ocean pollution

April 1, 2024
By Anonymous

If i could change anything I would help clean all the pollution in the ocean. I travel to Hawaii every year and each time I go I notice a decline in the health of the reefs and trash floating in the ocean or washed up on to the shore. Things like sunscreen and the trash from our food is destroying our ocean, taking its beauty away.

  I would start by changing the way that we dispose of trash so that it stops getting put into the ocean. One way this could be done is finding new ways to recycle all the old trash we already have laying around. There is no reason that it can not be used again. I would help inform people about the harm that their carelessness and use of single use plastics is having on the earth, and spread information on ways things can be rescued in the day to day life becoming more sustainable. I would also inform businesses on the ways that their packaging and products also affect the health of the earth. Most products today are put in plastic bottles that are way too large of what they actually hold and the only purpose is to give the luxury feel to the customer. 

 Then I would send out thousands of boats. Their sole purpose is to take the trash out of the ocean. While it would take forever to get out the tons upon tons of trash that have been put into the ocean over the years the end result would be worth it especially if we had a society that knew how to recycle the old. 

In the past of the metric tons of plastic that have been put into the ocean only around 9% that has been able to be recycled. We use the ocean for so many things every day yet we are killing it because society can't recycle. There needs to be a focus on the ocean to clean it up and start taking care of one of the most beautiful things on earth.