Our Solution of Pollution | Teen Ink

Our Solution of Pollution

By GreenTurtle135 BRONZE, East Greenwich, Rhode Island
GreenTurtle135 BRONZE, East Greenwich, Rhode Island

According to the Ellen McArthur Foundation, there will be more plastic in our oceans than fish by 2050. This shocking fact is not only a prediction, it’s the truth. As of now, about one million marine animals are killed every year from the effects of plastic pollution in the oceans. According to PlasticOceans.org, 10 million tons of plastic are dumped into the ocean every year. As you can imagine, these amounts of used materials and products have a disastrous effect on marine life, enough to affect us humans as well. When many people hear these facts, they can’t help but wonder, just how is all of this plastic being used and thrown away? 

Plastic was first invented in 1907 by Leo Baekeland, used to make life easier and shipping faster. When it was first released to the public, many people found out it could serve many purposes. Plastic is easy to produce and is very lightweight, cheap material. People could buy things that come in plastic for almost nothing, carry it around with them without a struggle, and simply throw the plastic away. The material was also proven to be waterproof, a revolutionary realization. Plastic became used to make everything, packaging products, toys, office supplies, kitchenware, shampoo bottles, and more. No one needed to worry about storing things anymore, or looking for inexpensive material to make products. Plastic became the solution to problems around the world. 

But in just a few decades, the effects of plastic usage became clear. The material could only be used for single use purposes before it was thrown away, unless it was a long term product with other materials in it to make it last longer. Also, plastic becomes extremely damaging to make. The factories needed to produce this material require a large amount of space, which can hurt wildlife and destroy ecosystems. In order for plastic to be created, fossil fuels need to be released into the air contributing to the effects of climate change. Also, once plastic is bought, it can be used for as little as fifteen minutes before it is thrown away. All of the materials take up a concerning amount of space in landfills, enough for the plastic to sometimes get dumped into the ocean instead to save more space. The landfills alone can damage the space they take up and the ecosystem that surrounds it. But plastic in the ocean can be even more damaging. 

Certain materials can take certain amounts of time to decompose, or break down to eventually disappear. Things that are made of more natural substances, such as paper, can break down easily and can take up to a month to decompose. If the matter is more artificial and consists of more chemicals, it can take years to decompose, sometimes decades. And though most things eventually break down, some materials never decompose. Plastic takes between 20 to 500 years to break down and disappear. When in the ocean, it can be consumed by marine animals and damage their digestive systems, leading to serious health problems. When the plastic decomposes enough to become invisible, but not quite gone, it can be ingested without the marine life noticing until it reaches the bloodstream. 

Plastic in the systems of fish, coral, and underwater mammals can lead to sickness, inability to reproduce, or even death. If the fish were to survive, it can affect the humans that consume them. The microplastics can be eaten by us humans who eat the fish. For this reason, according to PlasticOceans.org, humans can consume up to 40 pounds of plastic from the animals they eat. This is proof that our pollution can affect our own health as well as the health and well-being of nature. 

So, humans created plastic in order to solve some of their problems and make their lives easier. By doing this, we are hurting our environment, our oceans, and our own health. We need to try to find other, more natural and reusable materials that can take the place of the countless amount of plastic items in our homes. Making this shift in your lifestyle isn’t easy. Almost every time you go out to a restaurant, a friend's house, or even to school, you end up throwing things away. In an attempt to cut down on over consumption, simply try carrying around your own water bottles when you go out. According to CNN, around 25 million tons of plastic waste are a result of throwing away plastic water bottles alone. Bringing a water bottle everywhere you go can definitely lower the amount of plastic you contribute to landfills, and the ocean. When at restaurants, turn down the plastic straws and try not to order packaged foods. Eating more fresh foods is better for the environment and for your health. 

We, as a community, need to take the necessary steps to avoid over consumption. This includes using more reusable items and trying our best not to let our own pleasure and convenience get in the way of our good judgment. Thinking ahead to the future of our economy and environment can affect our decisions and impact our lifestyle in positive ways. We need to be open to new ways we can change our lives to also change the lives of those affected by plastic pollution. It is with these little changes that we can finally reduce the pollution that can influence the lives of animals and other humans.

I am very passionate about the effects of climate change and consumption of resources on our environment, and how we can work as a whole, and as community to prevent the development of these issues. I strongly suggest we all make changes to our daily lives in order to make the lives of those impacted by climate change easier. But as a teenager, it can be hard for the suggestions to become public, therefore I am fully open to submitting articles and essays on how we can continue to help the environment and prevent global warming. I believe that teenagers and our future generation are the ones who can make the bigger difference because they will be our leaders in the future. I believe that gathering more information about the world around us, and becoming more aware of the issues we face every day can help us develop habits that will eventually makes the future happier and healthier for us as well as our community.