A Nation of Deforestation | Teen Ink

A Nation of Deforestation

August 6, 2023
By GreenTurtle135 BRONZE, East Greenwich, Rhode Island
GreenTurtle135 BRONZE, East Greenwich, Rhode Island
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

All around the world, humans are cutting down trees to use the wood as materials, or to create space for more living or working spaces. Deforestation makes the atmosphere more at risk for greenhouse gas effects and contributes to the rise of climate change effects. The more trees are cut down, the more habitat of animals is lost, and the more vulnerable we become to the toxic chemicals created by fossil fuel emissions. As of 2020, 80.9 percent of the Amazon Rainforest is left untouched by humankind, according to the according to the Global Witness Blog. More than one million trees are cut down in that same rainforest every day. Trees are crucial to the reduction of fossil fuels, they take in carbon dioxide and store it inside of them until cut down, in which they are either released into the air or into the ground. Without trees, there is no other way for the carbon dioxide to leave the atmosphere. Trees are needed so much in this world, and we just can't help but continue cutting them down.

Not only does the Amazon help take in fossil fuels from the air, which benefits us as well as our ecosystem, but it is the home of thousands of species of mammals, fish, insects, and reptiles. As more of the rainforest is being destroyed because of what it provides for humans, more of these species are threatened. Could you imagine a world without jaguars, spider monkeys, or toucans? These animals are having trouble surviving because of the destruction of their homes. The more trees that are cut down, the less likely the species that live in the Amazon rainforest will be able to survive as time goes by. 

So the real question is, how can we attempt to slow down the destruction of the Amazon, and move towards a lifestyle that doesn’t require depending on it for resources. The answer is to simply attempt to avoid over consumption and focus on essentialism, which will benefit us and our mental health, as well as help our environment. One of the main reasons why the Amazon rainforest is being cut down is the rising demand for red meat. People are trying to make room to raise livestock in order to feed dozens of nations. But do we really need red meat? Sure, it gives us iron, but so does spinach, broccoli, nuts, and lots of whole grain pastas and breads. In a way, we could do much better without red meat. So one of the ways we can reduce the amount of deforestation in the Amazon is simply by cutting down on the amount of red meat that you eat. It will benefit your physical health as well as the health of the environment. If you were to really commit to this new lifestyle, you can change your diet to one of a pollotarian, where you only eat poultry and fish. Encouraging these behaviors can make a big impact on the earth, starting with just one person. 

Another way to cut down on over consumption is just to simply focus on essentialism in your daily life. Almost everything you use every day ties back to the Amazon, and unfortunately its destruction. Do you really need to leave all the lights on at your house at all times? Do you need to buy so many products on impulse while at the store? By just cutting down on the amount that you buy, you can help prevent the rainforest’s further destruction. 

It is also very important to choose the right brands for the products you buy. According to the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) there are several brand names you can look for that guarantee it used products that did not leave to any cutting down of the Amazon’s trees. These names include Fairtrade, Organic, Rainforest Alliance, Forest Stewardship Council (FSC), and 

RSPO (Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil). When you choose these kinds of companies, you can be certain you are not hurting the rainforests in the process. 

In conclusion, the health and well-being of the amazon is crucial in order to keep the rest of the world healthy and well-provided for. It is so important for us, especially as young adults, to learn about the challenges the Amazon is facing as we take little steps towards a brighter future. It all starts with commitment, dedication, and awareness.


The author's comments:

I am very passionate on educating young adults such as myself on the effects we have on the environment and encouraging others to make little changes in their lifestyle to make a change. I believe with hard work and dedication, our generation can make a big impact on the world.