Exhausted From Exhaustion | Teen Ink

Exhausted From Exhaustion

June 22, 2023
By GreenTurtle135 BRONZE, East Greenwich, Rhode Island
GreenTurtle135 BRONZE, East Greenwich, Rhode Island
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Many people are not aware that environmental issues and the effect they have on our community can have just as much impact as other current problems going on in our world. Because of the busy nature of human beings, and the excitement of the world around us, it is easier to forget about what is happening to our world as a result of the actions of community, and what we have done to increase our own productivity and levels of comfort. That is why it is crucial for youth, to become more aware of some of the concerns regarding our environment, and gather more information about it to promote more change and less overconsumption. One of the main topics that we tend to oversee and ignore, but should be discussing and dealt with immediately is climate change, or as some people call it, global warming.

Many tend to overlook issues concerning this matter, claiming it doesn’t exist, or it shouldn’t be focused on because of its irrelevant. But this behavior is the result of fear that the problem cannot be fixed, or is impossible to prevent. But this is an issue that should be immediately addressed by the community, so we can do something to prevent its growth and further damage to our lives today. According to the annual climate report of NOAA, the combined land and ocean temperature has risen to an average rate of 0.14°F, and we can already see the effects that it’s had on our community. Are you noticing the increasingly bad weather, the concerning amount of participation, or long periods of time without water?  All of these changes as a result of climate, change, or the warming of the earths atmosphere. When humans use fossil fuels to power cars, factories, or create electricity, they release carbon dioxide into the air, which also happens to be the air that we breathe out after taking an oxygen. Humans release enough CO2 as it is, and here we are releasing more of that toxic gases into the atmosphere. After the carbon dioxide is exposed, to oxygen, it stays in the air, although invisible to the naked eye. It also remains trapped in the earth's atmosphere by greenhouse gases.

Greenhouse gases act like a shield. Their main purpose is to keep out unwanted sunlight from the earth, allowing us to live and not burn every time we step outside. But the gases are also working in another way. Along with keeping unwanted heat out, it’s keeping both oxygen and carbon dioxide inside the atmosphere, with us. This makes us more easily, exposed to toxic chemicals, and can trap in the heat produced by high emission of carbon dioxide.

The Natural Resources Defense Counsel stated, “It increases exposure to hazardous wildfire. Smoke and ozone smog triggered by warmer conditions, both of which harm our health, particularly for those with pre-existing illness, like asthma, or heart disease“. This is explaining why we can’t hide from the effects of climate change, no matter how hard we try. We can’t ignore what’s happening in the world, it’s impossible to miss the way climate change has taken a toll on the earth and our community. Many hazards from the warming of the earths atmosphere, or with us, as we speak, silent, but invisible, but, as the evidence proves, deadly. Every year, climate factors take the lives of millions of people, and diseases are becoming more easily spread because of the increasing heat. Fires are more easily started, and the reduction of the ozone is releasing toxic chemicals into the air, affecting millions of people every day. Someone who is already vulnerable, because of an illness are the first ones to experience a change, and will be victims of more harmful and dangerous diseases that will definitely affect our community and economy.

“Climate change has produced a number of threats to wildlife throughout our parks. Rising temperature is lower many species survival rates due to changes that lead to less food, less successful reproduction, and interfering with the environment for native wildlife. These detrimental changes are already apparent in our national capital area, parks“ (National Park Services). This shows that if we continue to ignore the needs of plants and animals around us, we will end up losing the animals and species that we love. Soon, it will be too late to notice the real problem that animals are facing, and the way that we keep ignoring them. It had mentioned in the text that climate change is to blame for most problems, that animals face in our world today. This includes the struggle for food, shelter, and successful reproduction. Access to the basic necessities of animals around the world is becoming more challenging to find every day.

This is why this issue should be addressed by everyone, especially those who choose to ignore it. And it is the youth today who can make the biggest difference and prevent its development in the future. It is crucial for our youth to wait raise awareness for this problem and participate in the actor putting a stop to its growth. So let’s make it known that we are willing to fight for our future. It is with the kids up today that we may have a better tomorrow.


The author's comments:

I am very passionate about the effects of climate change and consumption of resources on our environment, and how we can work as a whole, and as community to prevent the development of these issues. I strongly suggest we all make changes to our daily lives in order to make the lives of those impacted by climate change easier. But as a teenager, it can be hard for the suggestions to become public, therefore I am fully open to submitting articles and essays on how we can continue to help the environment and prevent global warming. I believe that teenagers and our future generation are the ones who can make the bigger difference because they will be our leaders in the future. I believe that gathering more information about the world around us, and becoming more aware of the issues we face every day can help us develop habits that will eventually makes the future happier and healthier for us as well as our community.