A Message from the wild | Teen Ink

A Message from the wild

By mk_Rayan BRONZE, Dhaka, Other
mk_Rayan BRONZE, Dhaka, Other

Although animals do not possess the ability to speak words, they can communicate the same way as humans do with gestures, movements, vocalizations, and sense of smell. In short, most of their communication is non-verbal.

In a Utopian world, where they can do so, you wouldn't see those animals rebel against their human counterparts, hoping to create a society where the animals can be equal, free, and happy; as fantasized in George Orwell's political satire, 'Animal Farm'. Rather, you would find a monkey pleading for an unburnt home, a turtle abjuring for a clean ocean, a fox clenching the last tree, and a polar bear searching for the last arctic shore.

To survive today, other animals must go through global warming, endless pollution, and fewer habitats. More tragically, they must endure the silence of human hearts. In a world where even the smallest animal can alter the fate of the whole ecosystem, how blatant can we be to leverage from destroying homes, pillaging resources, and polluting their habitat? I had an epiphany that gave me a message from the wild; a message from a turtle for the whole of humanity. Here it is-

Did you remember me when you were high?

High on the plastic menace that you devised

So high, you were that you didn't realize, 

It was our home that you scandalized. 

Your spillers were our heartless killers. 

Now as we stifled, and choked on these adamantine, 

Were you there to hear us wail and cry? 

Let alone save us from this plastic Guillotine. 

Now how matter you may beg, plead or repent, 

We'll never come back to these shores alive. 

Only then you may show your offspring 

What you destroyed for a piece of plastic fictile. 

How elegant we were in our own domicile, 

You can build your museums and your menageries 

But will never capture our beauty alive!

By Jerry the turtle, the most recent victim of marine plastic pollution