Global Warming | Teen Ink

Global Warming

June 2, 2009
By Anonymous

Global warming is the increase in the average temperature of the Earth. The theory of global warming says that the Earths average temperature is increasing and ocean levels are rising due to the ice caps melting. Most supporters of global warming blame Carbon Dioxide emissions for accelerating the greenhouse effect. I believe that many “facts” of global warming are false. First, most (96-90%) of the green house effect is caused by water vapor not carbon dioxide. Therefore carbon emissions do not cause severe climate change. Second, climate change is very common for the Earth. Earth’s climate changes in cycles that are causes by the sun.

Even though I am not a believer of global warming I do agree that people should pollute less and recycle more. I think that people should be conscious about how much they waste. Also I think people should do their research before they do something that is said to be efficient and good for the environment. I say this because having a “green” product can be a marketing ploy to get you to buy a product that is actually very wasteful and inefficient. This includes energy saving fluorescent light bulbs which may contain mercury. Also hybrid car’s batteries contain very harmful elements in them that are hard to recycle. So are you really being helpful to the environment?