Killer Fuel | Teen Ink

Killer Fuel

May 15, 2009
By LtAidan BRONZE, Bellinham, Washington
LtAidan BRONZE, Bellinham, Washington
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Imagine a world where the sky is sea of smoke, people wearing gasmasks, other countries marketing in our country, and the world in total darkness. This would be a horrible way to live wouldn’t it? If you think that our future is not this, you are wrong. We are creating this future every day with all the emissions that we produce from factories, car, and trucks. I believe that the only way to stop this from happening is to push for renewable energy.

Renewable energy will release us from our dependency on other countries. Right now the U.S. uses about 20 million barrels of oil a day and makes only 5 million barrels a day. One of the reasons we are fighting in the Middle East is over oil. If you don’t want the U.S. to look like Iran then we most push for renewable energy.

Every car, truck, and people makes CO2 emissions. One person produces about 2.3 tons of CO2 each year and one tree absorbs about 13 pounds each year. There are 16 trees per person in the world. That means that of the 22 tons of CO2 created each year by one person only 203 pounds are absorbed that leaves 43,797 pounds of CO2 in the atmosphere of our planet. At this rate our world would look like the world I described above in about 50 years.

If we wish to prevent this future that is coming at us very fast we need to start relying on renewable energy to cut down on CO2 emissions. The U.S. produces 21 percent of the world CO2 emitted each. We produce almost one fourth of the worlds CO2 emissions. We are the number one polluter in the world that doesn’t make me happy. Does it make you happy? We are the number one reason for global warming in the world.

There are easy ways to cut down on your CO2 emissions. You could ride your bike places or buy a hybrid or biodiesel car. A hybrid car gets around 50 miles per gallon in the city compared to a standard car that only gets around 28 mile per gallon in the city. This not only save the environment but it saves you money as well. Buy solar panels for your home and some energy providers even give you an option to get your energy from solar panels or wind farms. Even recycling helps cut down on CO2 emissions. Every time something is recycled it takes half as les power as it would to make a new thing and it also cuts down on garbage.

This is going to be tough to do for some people and a lot of people are going to say I will let someone else do it. But if every one says that no one will do it. If everyone does this the future is looking bright with no dark clouds of CO2 clouding the world.