The Gray Wolf | Teen Ink

The Gray Wolf

By Wintersnow SILVER, New Braunfels, Texas
Wintersnow SILVER, New Braunfels, Texas

"Giving up is not an option. Fight until you can't fight. "

Although he is feared, killed and loved. He The gray wolf will always one of the pack.

The gray wolf is the cousin from the dog. The gray wolf is also a highly social animal. He also prefers to work and live in packs or teams. The pack is dominated by a female and male pair. Which may include their pups of the year, or the wolfs from the previous year or another adult wolfs. The gray wolf is also the biggest from the canine family. The female and male pair can be called alpha. The alpha can chose where to hunt and where to establish the packs territory. They have strong social bonds. They demonstrate it to them, even if it means to sacrifice them selfs for the pack.

The gray wolf can be many colors black, white,gray and brown and red . The gray wolf male can be heavier and taller than the females. The gray wolf can run up to 35 m.p.h , and can jump up to 12 feet.

The gray wolf can be found in the mountains and foothills along major rivers. The gray wolf is very adaptive to its biome. In fact, these are some names for the gray wolf. In the eastern wood land “timber wolf”. In the arctic “arctic wolf”. In the tundra “tundra wolf”. Also the only places that the gray wolf has not adapted to are the rain forest and the desert environment.

The gray wolfs mate in late February and march. They move to maternity dens in foot hills and mountains near the river. In late May or early June about four to seven pups are born. This pups are born blind, so their mother will have to care of them until they can see. On summer the pups drink milk from their mother .The dens are abandoned in July, or August. By winter the pups can travel and hunt with the other adult wolfs.

The gray wolf is a carnivore. They eat caribou, sheep and moose. They will also hunt small animals like birds, ground squirrels if they can and small rodents. When they have caught the animal and have ate it, animals like bears and foxes use the remains. Wolves track their prey by scent. When they are in packs there is much larger prey to eat. For example they would hunt moose,elk,bison,or deer. But wolves search the weaker prey they might even travel up to 30 miles per day!

Gray wolves communicate by each other by howling, body language and scent. Howling can be used to talk to other packs or wolves, assert territorial claims, and to assemble the pack. On a calm night howls can be heard up to 120 miles away. Wolves use their faces and tails to show their emotion and status in the pack. The pack would mark their territory by urine and feces.

The gray wolf is feared and killed by us, humans. The opinions of the people have changed many times. The people now thing wolves should be hunted and killed. This stared because wolves were killing deer and cattle. People now have come up with methods like fencing livestock,lightning, alarm systems and removing dead or dying livestock that may attract carnivores like wolves. Another problem is human or people getting into wolf territory that can lead to habitat loss for wolves and their prey species. The greatest threat to wolves is the people fearing them and misunderstanding them. Many fairy tales and myths have misrepresented wolves as fierce, angry, and dangerous creatures.

ESA, or endangered species act. The gray wolves are listed in the lower 48 states, except in Minnesota , where they are no listed. Wolves in Alaska are not listed under the endangered species act. In January 14,2009 by Bush's administration the U.S. Fish and wild life service announced that the Northern Rockies gray wolf will be taken of the endangered species list.

The aboitic factors is the permafrost, snow, the cold or the absence of heat. The wolf can get into a camouflage with the snow or the area where he is this make it easier to attack the prey. The fur that the wolf has make them warm on the cold days.

The gray wolf can have a life span up to six up to eight years, sometimes even up to thirteen years. And in zoo's they can have a life span up to seventeen years.

An adult gray wolves can have 42 teeth!compared to 32 teeth to adult humans!!

The gray wolf is a great animal, he is also important in our ecosystem or in another ecosystem you may never see one but you will be amazed by what they can do. They have a enemy that is above any other, us the humans. Help save the endangered specie!The gray wolf!!

When we got the project, I began to wonder what I was going to do. Page after page that I read, made me want for more. I wrote this because I was inspired by this wolf. My heart was written in this letters.This information is not origannly mine. This information is from other websites. So the credit is not all mine.