Clouds of Yellow | Teen Ink

Clouds of Yellow

By sweetsaundies13 BRONZE, Fairfield, Maine
sweetsaundies13 BRONZE, Fairfield, Maine

In the past twenty years, San Fancisco's skyline has transformed from a deep blue to a mucky yellow. The Earth's bleak future will only worsen unless we turn off the downhill path that we are following now. One of the biggest contributors to global warming is gasoline powered cars. They may seem harmless, but they are slowly deteriorating the Earth and what is living on it. That is why we should turn to hybrid and electric vehicles as more eco-friendly alternatives.

A majority of people at the moment have only been exposed to the negative side of hybrid and electric cars. Unfortunately, the price of hybrid and electric vehicles happens to be fairly expensive. For the convenience of the drivers, we would have to construct electric charging stations in order to drive long distances with electric cars. Electric cars are not being mass produced right now either. They happen to be quite scarce throughout the car dealerships. These minor problems have quick, easy solutions that we can use in order to get a hybrid or electric car in every driveway in America.

On the other hand, hybrid and electric cars can be exceptionally beneficial to us. One of the major positives is that gasoline is no longer needed. The cost of electric power is much less than the cost of gasoline. Unlike gas powered vehicles, just uselessly sitting in the garage, electric cars can be charged while in the garage. You can plug the car into the electrical charger when you arrive home at night, and in the morning you can drive away in a car ready for the busy schedule of the day. The average range for an electric car in one day is from about 32 miles to over 124 miles. They can also be operated with as little charging time as twenty minutes. The new Tesla Roadster can reach an outstanding top speed of 135 miles per hour. Electric cars will be a simple, convenient way of transportation.

One of the more popular aspects of electric cars is that they have many positive effects on the environment. While gas powered cars are running, they are leaving a trail of exhaust in the air composed of carbon emissions and other harmful gases. However, electric cars provide transportation which does not omit carbon dioxide emissions. They will reduce or even put an end to detrimental gasoline spills. Another positive factor is that they are much quieter. Electric cars will renew the high level of outdoor peace and serenity that America used to have.

The day when our beloved Earth will die from the irresponsible pollution emitted from gas powered vehicles is imminent. Hybrid and electric vehicles are the perfect solution to this rising problem. They are one small step that will make one big big difference. They will bring bright blue skies, white, puffy clouds, and bubbly, exuberant faces back to our hometowns and cities. Wherever the electric car goes, a bright, positive attitude and source of hope follows it.

“The activist is not the man who says the earth is dirty. The activist is the man who cleans up the
earth.” - Ross Perot

I would like to give my greatest thanks to my amazing teacher, Ms. Joffe, who helped me form, write, and edit this piece. I would also like to thank my classmates who helped me edit it as well.