Top Voted Community Service Articles

Here are the top voted community service articles:

voted
#1
Helping The Elderly: My Volunteer Experiences This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
   Up until a few years ago I never thought that one of my grandparents would be in a nursing home. I had always been lucky to have them healthy. However, this changed about a year ago when my grandfather had a mini-stroke, which... (more »)
2 comments
voted
#2
If I Could Change the World This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
     It's unlikely that any of us will be the next Mother Teresa and only a few will have enough power to do big things in this world, but I believe that I can change the world by volunteering to help the less fortunate in... (more »)
2 comments
voted
#3
The Importance Of Volunteering This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
   The Importance of Volunteeringby K. F., Wolcott, CTIt was three years ago, and I was entering my freshman year of high school. My parents and I were sitting in the living room watching "America's Funniest People." Everything... (more »)
2 comments
voted
#4
Why Volunteer? This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
   We are a nation of people generally inclined to help one another. We may not all be good Samaritans, but neither are we heartless toward our neighbors. Many of us volunteer time to help the homeless or the sick or the poor.... (more »)
voted
#5
Save the World: Volunteer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
     Many teens consider community service a bore, a chore to complete in order to graduate or include on a college application. I see it as much more - it's a way to help yourself and others. Each year I rack up 400... (more »)
3 comments
voted
#6
My Days at the Hospital This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
     "That'll be three dollars for the candy, please," I told the woman who had decided her outfit was not complete without a pink straw hat and "Jackie O" sunglasses. She whipped out her change purse... (more »)
1 comment
voted
#7
Nursing Home Experience This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
   The past few years I have been volunteering in the beauty salon of a nursing home. I give manicures, help with the residents' hair and wheel people to and from their rooms. On really slow days I am able to brush ladies' hair for... (more »)
1 comment
voted
#8
Soup Kitchen This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
   "I don't know what your destiny will be, but one thing I know - the only ones among you who will be really happy are those who have sought and found how to serve." - Albert SchweitzerBeing able to serve and help others... (more »)
1 comment
voted
#9
My Nursing Home Journey This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
      The monotonous droning of the machines spilled from the tiny rooms. Coughs and yells from the residents echoed throughout the corridor. The woman next to me seemed puzzled by a nurse’s simple command:... (more »)
voted
#10
Helping The Elderly This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
   I dragged my shovel up Mrs. Dupuis's driveway to her stairs. She came to the door with a sweet smile on her aged face and insisted on paying me; I refused.I was at Mrs. Dupuis's house because I began a program called SASP... (more »)
5 comments
voted
#11
Peer Tutoring This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
   Are you involved in peer tutoring at your high school? This is a program in which students can teach other students who have difficulty in a particular subject. It is a wonderful experience that not only gives a person the... (more »)
voted
#12
My Mission Trip This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
     Learninghappens in a variety of ways, but the lessons I remember best are learned fromexperience. Last spring I had the opportunity to spend a week in Tijuana, Mexicoon a mission trip to build a house for a family. I... (more »)
voted
#13
Animal Shelter This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
   The barks of dogs surrounded me as I stepped off the bus. They ran around their cages jumping up and down. My heart melted at the sight of these poor creatures. The spotted Dalmatian sent out a plea for help with a tiny bark. A... (more »)
4 comments
voted
#14
When You Help A Community, You Help Yourself This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
   Most people hear the word community service and say ugh. They either think thatit's something "bad" people do to have time taken off their prison termor something that is totally boring. On the other hand I hear the... (more »)
voted
#15
A Life-Changing Experience This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
   Working as a missionary in Duran, Ecuador last Easter had a profound effect on my life. I traveled to that poverty-stricken country hoping to make a difference in people's lives; however, they made more of a difference in mine.... (more »)
2 comments
voted
#16
There Should Be A Death Penalty This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
   Stop for a second, close your eyes and think of the person you'd love to spendthe rest of your life with - you know, the one you can't live without. Do youhave that picture in your mind? Now picture that person dead. No longer... (more »)
3 comments