Top Voted Community Service Articles

Here are the top voted community service articles:

voted
#1
Shoes for Africa This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
As an immigrant I have had the opportunity to view the world through many lenses. When I lived in Venezuela I was aware that many people suffered and had to struggle to sustain their families. Arriving in the United States, I knew that I would not... (more »)
10 comments
voted
#2
The ABCs of Korean This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
“Ga, na, da, ra.” They recite in unison as I point to the intricate ­Korean alphabets. Hmm … too easy? Facing the whiteboard, I carefully form a word incorporating these ­elaborate characters, crossing my fingers for someone to shout... (more »)
2 comments
voted
#3
Crates of Books This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
I’ve never organized a food drive. I’ve never spent a weekend at a soup kitchen, dishing out food. I’ve never gone on one of my church’s many mission trips. I’ve never been that girl, the one who goes across the world making a difference... (more »)
8 comments
voted
#4
Lunch with Joyce This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Today I was at the mall waiting for friends, when a lady wearing a knit hat and a sweater came up to me and, shivering, said, “I’m homeless. Would you mind buying me some food?” In that split second, everything I’d learned since... (more »)
44 comments
voted
#5
Saving Survivors This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
For many years, it was too difficult for him to talk about – the ghetto, the gas chambers, the smell of burning flesh, his childhood completely shattered in a matter of days. Irving Roth, a survivor of the genocide during World War II, was... (more »)
5 comments
voted
#6
Hard Times in the Big Easy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
I am fortunate to have witnessed my fair share of breathtaking moments, moments that have shaken my world and broadened my perspective. These snippets in time seem to shatter reality and force me to question my beliefs, opinions, and most... (more »)
1 comment
voted
#7
Fallen Birds This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
As I walked to the mailbox with my dad, I saw something drop from a tree. I couldn't tell what it was, so I kept my eyes on the spot as we approached. It was a baby bird, fallen from its nest. It had long, awkward wings and feet, and eyes... (more »)
4 comments
voted
#8
Kibera: A Problem with Solutions This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
The Kibera slums, Nairobi, Kenya: a land of corrugated metal roofs, muddy side streets, and roughly 700,000 people crammed into a single square mile. Kibera needs help, and yet, in spite of the many ways people could get involved, most don't... (more »)
4 comments
voted
#9
A Lesson From Louie This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
In my neighborhood is a homeless shelter. The first few years I lived here, I walked by it like any other building; the only person I interacted with was a man with Down syndrome who often got lost and needed to be helped back. But this summer, my... (more »)
7 comments
voted
#10
My Friend Victoria This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
I have a friend named Victoria. We both love buttery popcorn, know how to play “For He's a Jolly Good Fellow” on the piano, and like to sing, even though neither of us can carry a tune. The only major difference between us is that Victoria... (more »)
2 comments
voted
#11
Rebuilding Hope This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Insignificant. Passing empty lots of six-foot-high weeds, that word best described how I felt. From inside a Suburban with the air conditioner blowing through my hair and a bottle of cold water in my hand, I surveyed the Lower Ninth Ward in New... (more »)
voted
#12
Computer Skills for Retirees This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
My aunt Blanche was an original Rosie the Riveter during World War II. I always ­enjoyed listening to her stories from those times. She had an old Apple computer, and often during my visits she would ask me to help her with it. I realized I... (more »)
1 comment
voted
#13
Seeing Clearly This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
As much as I hate to admit it, I used to avoid looking people with mental disabilities in the eye. It wasn't that I was scared of them, or even uncomfortable around them. It was more that I pitied them. I thought they could never have the same... (more »)
2 comments
voted
#14
I Am a Mosquito This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
My friends always roll their eyes when I tell them about my latest scheme. If I'm lucky, they'll agree to help, but usually they just give me a look that says, “There she goes again, trying to save the world.” What hurts the most is... (more »)
2 comments
voted
#15
To Become a Garbage Collector This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
“Oh no, oh no!” Across the classroom, a student panicked over her missing AP U.S. history homework. Trying to calm her down, the teacher joked, “Well, that's it – now you won't get into college and you'll end up a garbage... (more »)
voted
#16
Visiting Mr. Sgroi This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
“I've gotta pee.” Mr. Sgroi had awoken with a start, and those were the first words I ever heard him utter. For someone who had suffered a massive stroke, undergone emergency surgery, and been in a vegetative slumber all morning, it was... (more »)