Committing to the Community | Teen Ink

Committing to the Community

June 12, 2016
By Emily43 SILVER, Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Emily43 SILVER, Oshkosh, Wisconsin
7 articles 4 photos 10 comments

Having many opportunities to volunteer in middle school has been, one of the most amazing experiences in my life. Volunteering has taught me so much about myself. My biggest volunteer opportunity is at Portico Community Church. I have volunteered teaching lessons every Sunday morning since sixth grade. It has been amazing to watch the children grow in their faith. It has also improved many of my skills, and has taught me to speak better to large groups.  I volunteer every Sunday for three and a half hours for a total of 322 hours. 

I was a part of the P.A.C.E Leadership Club in seventh grade. I spent 15 hours throughout the school year picking up trash, planting flowers, showing new families and students around the community, planning and running the school talent shows, and I helped make videos for PBIS rules. It gave me the opportunity to change the health of the city, and be a positive role model.

Currently, I am a member of the Interact Rotary Club. The club provides different community service opportunities. Some of the projects that I have done over the last year have been cleaning, and serving food at the Day by Day Homeless Shelter, fundraising for the March Of Dimes, handing out Poinsettias to the elderly at nursing homes in Oshkosh, and cutting out shoe patterns made from old jeans for an organization called Sole Hope. Working with Sole Hope gave me the opportunity to impact people in other countries currently in poverty. At the nursing home, some of the elderly haven't had a visitor for a very long time. It was fun to see the smile’s on their face.I have volunteered for 13 hours throughout the school year.

In April 2016 I volunteered for the Special Olympics Swim Meet at the Oshkosh YMCA. For six hours, as a part of the Oshkosh Dolphin Swim Team, I timed the swimmers, escorted the participants to the pool deck, helped set up and take down, and supported the different teams throughout Wisconsin with the opening ceremonies, parade, and their pledge. The happiness that they expressed was empowering to everyone there. It was an amazing experience. The event gave me a different viewpoint on their lives. I got to be a part of something that meant so much to the swimmers. I have volunteered for many events and projects, but these are the ones that stand out to me.

All of these volunteer opportunities have impacted my life in some way. Volunteering has taught me the importance of helping others. I know that my time and effort for everything I have helped with has been greatly appreciated. The greatest satisfaction of helping others is the smile and happiness that each person has on their face when you are done. This is what drives me to continue, to get outside of my comfort zone and volunteer. Life is about serving, and putting others first. I go out of my way to help someone everyday, even if it is picking up a paper they dropped, opening up their locker, or even helping them with a math problem. I do this because it not only makes other people happy, but it’s the right thing to do. I enjoy volunteering and will continue to help others throughout my life.


The author's comments:

Community Service has always been important in my life, and it will always stay important!