Eternal Experiences

Volunteering at Presbyterian Hospital in Matthews, North Carolina has definitely made an impact on me and hopefully others as well. My job as a Junior Volunteer is to visit rooms on the third and fourth floors and give snacks to patients and visitors of patients. I went into the volunteer opportunity thinking that it would be a great thing to benefit me because I am interested in pursuing a medical career and it would help me earn community service hours for various clubs at school. Although it has done both, the experience has been much more than just volunteering. I never know what type of situations I will run into each time I knock on a patients' door. I have come across all types of people from tiny children to elderly seniors. Some people are extremely nice and want to talk and visit, others are not so sociable and sincere. I have gotten many complements and people saying that having me come around has made their hospital experience great. It always makes me feel good to hear this because it makes me feel like I am making a difference even if I only volunteer for a couple hours a week. I am so glad that I made the decision to volunteer at the hospital and I will never forget the experiences I have had.