Cooking For Teenagers | Teen Ink

Cooking For Teenagers

By Kathya13 SILVER, Tempe, Arizona
Kathya13 SILVER, Tempe, Arizona

"You cant be fully healed if you don't get hurt"

“We have home base today, didn’t you remember? I groaned as I looked at the bright pink sheet that boldly reminded me how I’d have to volunteer that day. A week ago I had signed up to volunteer at Home Base a Phoenix shelter for homeless teenagers, where we would be making and serving food. I had completely forgotten and honestly I didn’t want to go. I had wanted to go home that day and possibly begin reading a new book but I reluctantly decided to go. When all the volunteers walked in we were handed aprons and told to wash our hands. I pulled back my wild short hair and let the warm water run over my slightly shaking hands. I had never cooked before. The only times I had ever been in a kitchen were to grab some chips before my mom could notice. I was handed my instructions then told to work with the two male volunteers. We were to make a macaroni casserole, which I had never even seen. As we began cooking the two boys could easily tell I was an inexperienced cook. One boy began bickering with me and they decided to start preparing the tables.While I spun. And spun. And spun the macaroni I thought about the people we were cooking for. What would it be like if it wasn't my mom cooking for me but some stranger? Someone who didn't even know what they were doing? I began to prepare the casserole. I cooked, I buttered, and I baked until it was time to serve the food.  I smiled much too broadly at the teenagers that we served. They were as young as I am with wide eyes and shy smiles. Some of them thanked us as they received the food eagerly, others grunted as we offered cupcakes. Serving was a very slow process but I deeply enjoyed it.  I have always been a slightly spoiled person but seeing young people who can easily be compared to me with little more then nothing made me appreciative of all the usual items I complain about. The teenagers laughed and joked around as they ate; it was interesting to hear that they had practically the same jokes as me and my friends have. When I realized how easily I could have been in the same situation I was relieved I had decided to volunteer that day.