Redefined | Teen Ink

Redefined

March 10, 2015
By ballislife23 BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
ballislife23 BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“ Hi! My name is Liz.” That was the first thing the coordinator at Phoenix's Andre House had spoken as I walked in. After that, all she ever uttered were commands to do the next task, such as “ you can help out by folding napkins… you can help out by filling up the water jugs… you can help out by manning the water station…”. She didn't stop. Nonetheless, I put on a smile and did all the manual labors. Up until I had to clean the restrooms. In an instant I felt as if somehow I had managed to get Liz mad, and she was now personally punishing me. In that instant, my heart stopped beating, the world stopped spinning, and time froze. It was shocking news. I gathered some cleaning supplies, but all I recall is the strong, suffocative smell of Clorox. I put on some gloves and I was set and ready to go kill some germs. The whole time I was in the bathroom I felt like I was in an underwater cave. I didn't want to touch anything without at least a towel between my hands and the surfaces, and I was holding my breath the entire time. I felt like I was undergoing the the twelve labors of Hercules.  I managed to finish cleaning after several breaks outside the bathroom catching  my breath and reminding  myself that it wasn't that bad, and they were ready to be used by the homeless. However, even after the bathroom was so clean that nothing would be found under an ultraviolet light, the smell of chemicals was so vibrant it made my eyes water and i felt like my chest was being squeezed. Luckily, after that experience, I was put on water station duty. In between the thousand water cups I handed out, I wondered “ What if I was on the other side of this table?”. I wouldn't have the the clothes and shoes I was wearing. I wouldn't have a bed to sleep on, a roof over my head, or a home. I then realized that if i was on the other side of the table, I would be thankful to the person handing me a cup of water. I would definitely say things like “ Thank you… you are very kind… Merry Christmas… God bless you…”. In those moments I was thankful for what I had and I vowed to return to Andre House in  downtown Phoenix every other Thursday.