Helping Out a Lovely Neighbor | Teen Ink

Helping Out a Lovely Neighbor

By Rakiya BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
Rakiya BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona

During the summers when I was around the age of five I would spend them with my great-grandma Hattie King. And she would always have me help her with whatever chores she had to do that day such as mowing the lawn, racking leaves and picking up trash that was in the yard. She taught me a lot about life and most importantly how to help others even when you do not have to. Most of my pleasurable qualities come her. For Washington High School the Interact Club in Phoenix we did a paint-a-thon. We went to a nice mobile home community and we painted an older women’s house. Us students and teachers working together as a team to make a difference in our society is a rare thing to see now a days. While I was on break the women approached me

“Hi how are you doing today” she voiced
“I’m doing swell and you”

“wonderful” her saying this made me smile because I want people to feel grand,hope and know that the world is still a good place.
“That's good real good”

Softly vocalized I heard “I did some painting and cocking the cracks yesterday so you guys did not have a lot of work”

After she said that she made me think of my great-grandma she was the same way she would do little clean ups so when someone comes over to help they would not have to do much. Made me remember that my great-grandma was independent always thinking of others even when she needed help. That is so important to me because I have this same quality my grandmother has I’m proud to say I am kinda like her in the same way. The woman we helped she just reminds me of my grandma in general. “You all did a wonderful job it looks like new and love that color you guys used on the home”

She smiled at me a genuine smile and I returned the smile and went back to work. Paint brushes wet with paint, the house now has a nice coat of paint waiting to be dry. The woman was delighted with the outcome.Members of Interact tiredly sweating in the sun from a hard day of work feeling pleased. Having the experience of painting her house I see clearly now why I strive to help people in need, it is because I want to see their joy or their face light up because they know someone cares about the people the real people that struggle with life everyday and that someone simply just helped them this makes me my heart pound like a drum and glow more red. My grandma once told me “ I have a heart that glows red and will glow red because of who I am” I finally know what she means. The qualities in my life makes me who I am today, thoughtful, charitable, gracious and kindhearted. Helping others shaped who I am and what kind of person I want to be. My goal here on earth is to be a positive effect in many peoples lives.

Deep down there will always be a heart beating in America.