Family Struggle | Teen Ink

Family Struggle

By mikiemikymike BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
mikiemikymike BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona

I've never seen so many homeless people in one place! Families, single women, teenagers and children with parents too! The only excitement for these persons was the meal of the day.

South Phoenix, Arizona, is not such an inviting place and upon arriving at Watkins, a nearby homeless shelter, you could already feel the tension building.

"God bless you for coming!"

Anxious, hungry, and hurt voices surrounding us continuously exclaiming that same overwhelming phrase. 

The lines of starving people stretched out until we couldn't see the last person standing in it.

"May I get some butter please?" questioned and elderly sickened woman.

"Of course you may!" I reputed as I extended my arm and felt her course fingers touch mine. Her eyes seemed to devour the food already.

The most grateful people put up faces of ultimate appreciation and joy. In contradiction however, younger women, and fathers, carried worried and upset grimaces which filled the room with anxiety as they snached the plates from our hands. They seemed desperate for something, maybe drugs, who knows but as if unnoticed, we continued handing out hope like hot bread.

One gentleman with a family caught my attention. I asked, "would you like some gravy? We have enough for everyone!"

His distraught appearance said it all but he responded with a tight " No thank you. But ill give it to my kids if that ok?"

I was quickly saddened. At that instant I realized that our community was in deep need for love and compassion from the ones better acquitted. One should feel grateful for what we have because unfortunately for others, family is all they have. Sometimes not even that. Thinking back to the gentleman, I realized why his grimace was so anxious. He was distraught at the thought that, as a man of his family, he had let them down.

One emotion fastly tuned to another as the room quickly was filled with multiple joyous families excited to eat. Although the families were in a recession in themselves, the children continued playing, singing,  laughing and enjoying their time at Watkins like a 5 star resort.

Family is gold and even in the toughest times, they are hope, forgiveness, and appreciation.

It never fails to amaze me to see how someone so random can change another's mood and perspective so quickly by just showing kindness and hope. Feeding the people at Watkins was exactly that feeling. Nothing could beat the amazing sensation of the children hyped up on cake running up to ask " for another piece pleeeeeease." Their bright, un-worried, faces made Watkins such a happy environment. Its harsh to see that the parents understand that Watkins was a place of refuge but it was amazing to see that the children took it as an adventure. The juvenile minds prompted us volunteers to stay longer and have a play session with them.

Donated board games and a craft table lit up with excitement filled a separate room. The children yelling, "I want another one" was a laugh alone. A young boy, no younger than 12, asked if we could stay to play soccer. The saddened look on his visage when I answered that it was time for us to part home was exhausting. In turn we had to promise to return and it was a promise I was willing to maintain.

Once again, "Thank you Interact!" filled the room as we walked towards our bus. Behind us, we could hear the children saying "mommy, daddy, look what I made" which made that night even more so special.

Our night finally came to a close with handshakes from fathers and mothers, and single persons as well. Following the tiny faces from the children waving goodbye. Our night was a definite success.