Holiday Festival | Teen Ink

Holiday Festival

January 14, 2015
By kerrymbrennan BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
kerrymbrennan BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
4 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Imagine the feeling of giving someone a holiday miracle. Someone that does not know who Santa is, or who does not get eight nights filled with presents. Imagine lighting up this person’s face, and maybe even changing their life a little bit. At my high school, I get to do just this.


Every December at my high school, teachers and students organize the ‘Holiday Festival’. This is an extraordinary event where underprivileged elementary school students from a nearby inner city visit our high school for a day to have a magical holiday celebration. Each high school student is assigned an elementary school child to escort around the school. We lead them eagerly from classroom to classroom, decorating cookies, opening presents, jumping in bouncy houses, and giving these children the amazing day they deserve.


This is by far one of the most anticipated days of the school year. We prepare for days, making the school into a winter wonderland and buying the perfect presents for these incredible little students. Nearly every person in the school participates and an excited fills the air. Most importantly, every student and teacher is eager to see the kids walking through the garland-covered doors with smiles lighting up their faces. Many of these adorable, innocent children live a life that is too challenging for many of us to imagine, and seeing that smile last all day is the most rewarding part of Holiday Festival for everyone involved. Putting smiles on each child’s face is the absolute perfect way to start off the holiday season.


In my opinion, the best part of this magnificent day is giving your assigned student a gift. We receive a small wish list from the elementary school student with the few items they want for the holidays, but most likely are not able to get from their family or friends. Handing them exactly what they asked for on their list is so rewarding and unforgettable for you and your little buddy. The way their happiness fills their eyes when you give them something as simple as a bag of M&Ms is one of the best feelings in the world. It’s unbelievable how much of an impact a child can make on you after just a school day.


Holiday Festival opens up the eyes and minds of every high school student who participates in the day’s activities. We see the everyday lifestyle we take for granted through the eyes of these children. When they walk through our school, they see a huge, beautiful, clean building with the state of the art classrooms, theatres, music rooms and gymnasiums.  We, on the other hand, dread waking up to go to our well-equipped college-prep classes, taking notes on our mint-condition laptops and walking through our hallways without any concern for our personal safety.  The possessions we receive as everyday ‘necessities’ such as cute clothes and candy, they view as luxuries.


No matter what present your Holiday Festival child receives, a huge smile spreads across their face and they exclaim “Thank you!”  It makes me want to buy each and every one of them a million presents.  Holiday Festival is one of the greatest days of the year and I am so lucky to have the opportunity to participate in it. I strongly recommend to anyone reading this to ask a teacher to start an event similar to Holiday Festival at your school. Make an event for summer, winter, fall or spring.  Any reason is reason enough to help your community.  You are going to make a positive impact in a child’s life, and I can guarantee these children will have a lasting impact on yours as well.