My Second Home | Teen Ink

My Second Home

By laughingcookie SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
laughingcookie SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

I sit on the floor and throw the tennis ball across the room. The cream-colored Labrador Beagle mix darts across the room, reaching it right before the ball hits the water bowl. He then hops back to me panting, his tongue sticking out from the side of his mouth and the ball wedged between his jaw. His tail wags slowly, side to side. He then lays down on my lap, his whole body weight on my legs. He's much too big to be a lap dog, but he does it anyway, and I don't mind. My smile seems permanently placed there as I scratch his ears, his favorite spot.

My passion has always been caring for animals, and volunteering has given me a chance to express this. Volunteering at Bideawee in NYC has become my special dedication. It's a no-kill shelter for cats and dogs, and the shelter’s goal is to provide them a safe haven and match adopter to animal. It doesn’t matter how long the animal stays; they are all equally loved. Whether the cat or dog stays for a day or years, each one has a special place in my heart.

When I first went into the animal shelter, it was overwhelming. There was the constant smell of dogs, and their barks of excitement that someone is there to see them could frighten a person unsure of this whole place anyway. A German Shepherd mix was standing on his hind paws, leaning on the the kennel door and waiting for me to pass by. I shrunk back and pressed against the wall, trying to get through the corridor without the dog breaking through its kennel and chasing after me. But now, I’m so used to the place I always look forward to smelling that familiar scent, cuddling with my favorite pups and tossing treats to the new ones. I now walk with more confidence, greeting all the staff members as well as other volunteers.

Bideawee has shown me that shelter dogs are not broken animals and they aren't just animals no one would ever want. Most are so gentle and friendly that they cause me to wonder why no one has taken them home yet. The others need a bit of time and love to warm up, but once they recognize you, you fall in love with them so hard that it’s unable to stop. One of my favorites is a Lab mix called Lola. She gets very protective with people and barks at strangers. However, once she sees you often and gets comfortable around you, she greets you by holding a stuffed animal in her mouth while wiggling her entire rear end. For this reason, though my first dog was from a pet store, I adopted my second one from Bideawee.

A common characteristic with all of them, though, is that they live in the present. And that's what I find so amazing about all of these animals, whether they are abused, abandoned, or injured. A two month old Golden Retriever mix called Noah needed a back leg amputated because of a blade of grass so tightly wrapped around it. However, he played with other four-legged puppies normally, leaping around happily, like the injury didn’t bother him. Timmy was a 7 year old Carolina Dog mix that was surrendered after around six years with his owner. Nevertheless, he didn’t stay in his kennel, contemplating the past and wishing for his person  to come back. Instead, he focused on the now and continued to be friendly with everyone, playing with tennis balls and asking for belly rubs.

Although I would love to take every animal home, it’s just astonishing what happens when they find their perfect family. There was a Retriever mix named Brooklyn that I grew attached to. Brooklyn was surrendered to Bideawee because her owner couldn’t bring her along to the new home. She was afraid of everyone, growling at any strangers, and unwilling to go past the block that the shelter was located because she was terrified of the cars. Everyone was slowly losing hope that she would get adopted, because she had stayed at Bideawee for a year, and one couple that had tried to adopt her ended up returning her because they couldn’t handle it. A few weeks later, however, a young lady decided to adopt her. Many people had their doubts on whether she would be able to handle the high-strung girl, but all doubts were gone when we saw her again when she came for a checkup. She was more lean and muscled, and according to her owner, she was better with strangers and wasn’t so afraid of the outside anymore. Seeing one of the dogs deemed “unadoptable” get to spend the rest of her life full of happiness and joy is definitely one of the most rewarding experiences. It encourages me every week to care for the still homeless animals and help them get forever homes too.

I truly enjoy every moment I spend at this animal shelter. Stepping out of my comfort zone and attending the orientation that October of 2012 was the best decision I have ever made. Bideawee gives me a place to escape my reality and just be with all these affectionate dogs and cats. I have become less timid, being surrounded by adults as well as other teenagers. They have taught me how each animal will get their forever home, if you wait long enough. This encourages me to pursue a career in saving animals. Bideawee constantly thanks their volunteers, but for me, they have done more for me than I could ever give to them.