The Power of Brand New Sneakers | Teen Ink

The Power of Brand New Sneakers

September 25, 2014
By BradyD BRONZE, Holliston, Massachusetts
BradyD BRONZE, Holliston, Massachusetts
2 articles 2 photos 0 comments

Do you know that feeling you get when you open up a box with a brand new pair of sneakers? I know about 40 people who didn't, until I started this project.


   Over the last two summers, I've put together sneaker drives for a family homeless shelter in Medway, MA. I donated a pair of shoes for each child/parent there, amounting to dozens of pairs of sneakers.  The shelter’s residents come from broken homes and off the streets. This little bit of help improves their situation immensely.
   The project was mainly organized using Facebook and other online resources to gather generous people willing to donate. Since this was the second time I did this project, I already had a group of very kind people willing to help. This time I reached out to even more, and was able to make new connections by networking through old ones. 


   I was happy to learn the project really did improve the quality of life for residents. The director at the shelter informed me:

"Most of the families have a very low income. The parents buy very cheap footwear, and usually just sandals in the summer. Most of them walk back and forth to the grocery store in the plaza (about a mile walk), and up to Ocean State Job lot . They do like to go out to walk, and having the right, supportive foot wear can make a big difference. For some of the families, that will be what they wear all winter.


-It is especially helpful for the children, who are still growing and many of the moms cannot always afford to get them new sneakers when they really need them. Also, we have some children who are school aged and they will have these to start the new school year with. Otherwise, they will probably just have their old ones or their sandals."

Organizing this project gives me a sense of accomplishment. It is great to know that an average person can do something so special. It really feels good to help a group of people who need all the help they can get in life.  

Hopefully sharing my story will inspire people to replicate my project and help local homeless shelters in a similar way, whether it be sneakers, clothes, food, or anything else that people need in order to get by.


The author's comments:

Why not give it a shot. Anyone can do this!