Living History | Teen Ink

Living History MAG

By JoeNuernberg BRONZE, Tempe, Arizona
JoeNuernberg BRONZE, Tempe, Arizona

Back in freshman year, I found myself wondering whether it should really be called “volunteering” if students only do it because they have to. I vividly remember the sighs and exasperation of my fellow National Honor Society members as we were told that we were required to volunteer. Having a prejudiced mindset about volunteering created a negative outlook in me too.

I ended up volunteering at the Weyrich Health Center, helping elderly patients with daily tasks. A musty odor permeated the halls and the screeching of wheelchairs annoyed me. I wanted to quit. Why did I have to waste my time? Meeting new people was never comfortable for me, and I felt lost.

I remember my supervisor demanding, “Joe, get the files,” “Joe, come with me,” or “Push this lady into the dining hall.” The more I did these tasks, the more disconnected I felt from the seniors. Though I felt bad for them, I did not want to interact with them. I felt awkward and uncomfortable.

Then one rainy day, I met Colonel Hemsworth. He invited me to his table and asked for some company. I regarded this as another boring task. However, when I listened to his stories, I learned that he was a brilliant war veteran, and I found his tales riveting.

Back in the 1950s, he fought in the Korean War. He recounted arriving in Busan and fighting the North Koreans and Chinese. Fascinated, I remember asking “How long did you fight?” and “What kind of gun did you use?” and “What were some of the tactics you employed?” I could easily relate to his stories because most of my mother's family lived through or escaped from the Korean War.

After my brief euphoric high from my talk with the Colonel, I realized that I shared commonalities with all the seniors. I felt like an oxygen molecule – ready to bond – rather than an isolated noble gas.

I met with many learned senior citizens who shared their experiences and wisdom. One woman began delving into technology and human behavior, emphasizing the importance of cognitive enhancements to humans over time. She highlighted the fact that today people have an accumulated memory of the world through the Internet and cell phones. I understood that she meant we need to enhance cognitive skills, not lose them.

All of the seniors provided insight and a new perspective on life. No longer did I walk aimlessly down the hallways. I found myself enjoying interacting with these people as I learned their histories. Why hadn't I realized sooner that volunteer work could enlighten me?

Some people argue that volunteering and working for change does not help. However, they fail to realize that the world is constantly changing and humans must adapt. My experience at Weyrich Health Center has taught me that refusing to change one's views and accept new perspectives leads to short-term goals that eventually dissolve. Interaction and communication with others is a vital part of life. Volunteering is not just a requirement or a way to beef up your résumé, it is a time for service and personal growth.

Now I enjoy volunteering my time surrounded by seniors who bring history alive for me. By connecting with them, I have developed into a more dynamic person.

TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby." - Unknown

This is really cool! I absolutely love the title, and I'm sure you hear that often. I think it's so cool when writers use one ginormous metaphor to explain what's going on. The connections made were simply mesmerizing, especially since I'm such a science nerd. I don't know if you are as well, but here's a fun fact. Writing and science use different parts of the brain. There is a slight possibility that you're ambidextrous, but I doubt it. Maybe left-handed? Or a regular righty. Which is all good. Sorry for the detour there, but my point is that your story is really interesting and sticks you in a new point of view that is absolutely intriguing. Really nice job.