Why I Do Something | Teen Ink

Why I Do Something

Why I dosomething…
With all the evil that is being realized throughout my school district I have recently been asked, Why do you do these things? (Describing a Teens for Jeans Drive I Started At My School). Most people think I do good things and I volunteer to make myself look good, or because it makes me feel good, or as a PR stunt to make my school or the district look better.

I don’t do things for any of those reasons! In the case of collecting jeans for homeless teens, I did it because my district has literally hundreds of students who are homeless. I have seen the devastation of not knowing where you're going to sleep at night. At my ripe old age of 15 I have realized (after a long stint at my childrens hospital and almost dying) the world IS NOT fair. But as my mom and dad always say; “Its not a Circus either.” No where did anyone say that the world was fair.

I do something because if I don’t who will? I think we should all do our part to make the world a little bit more fair. So here is my challenge to you… Do it. Take a minute and make your peers life a little easier. Because if we all do something good than in the world of dosomething.org; “The world will suck a little less.”