Spreading Holiday Joy | Teen Ink

Spreading Holiday Joy MAG

March 1, 2014
By MadiRose BRONZE, Billings, Montana
MadiRose BRONZE, Billings, Montana
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions" ~ Augusten Burroughs.


When I was about nine years old, I discovered just how financially insecure my family was. It wasn’t that hard to figure out; some weeks our fridge was full of food, and others it was empty. I knew raising four kids as a single parent was hard on my mom – and on her checkbook – but it wasn’t until the holidays that I realized how hard.

I was just getting used to the idea that my dad was not going to be around during our holiday festivities when my mom came to us one evening before Thanksgiving. My three siblings and I were sitting on the couch, and she knelt in front of us with teary eyes.

“Kids, there isn’t going to be a Christmas this year,” she said. “Santa is really very sorry, but he can’t afford to make any more gifts for the time being.” We stared at her in disbelief. No Christmas?! Who ever heard of such a thing? I was old enough to have my doubts about Santa Claus, but my five-year-old brother Ryan believed wholeheartedly. If my mom said Santa couldn’t afford presents that year, she was really saying she couldn’t. Knowing that we weren’t going to see my dad during Christmas break and that there wouldn’t be any gifts under the tree put my family into a state of depression.

My older sisters and I acted like robots going to school, then coming home to do chores, homework, eat dinner, and go to bed. The only person who seemed unaffected by the gloom hanging over our household was Ryan; he wasn’t old enough to understand.

Time passed, and Christmas approached. Somehow Ryan convinced my mom to put up the tree and decorations despite her lack of holiday spirit. On Christmas Eve we all went to bed with tears in our eyes, knowing we would wake to just another day.

When morning arrived I woke to Ryan’s joyful cries; he was running in circles around our two-bedroom apartment. “Santa came! Santa came! He really came!” he yelled.

I jumped out of bed and met my family in the living room. The Christmas tree was lit from top to bottom and buried in presents! The stockings along the windowsill were overflowing with candy and trinkets for each of us. A single note was attached to the largest gift. “From our family to yours – Merry Christmas!” My mom was as shocked as the rest of us.

On that special day, after months of sadness, my broken family came together to celebrate. We laughed and sang Christmas carols as we opened our gifts, savoring every moment of happiness.

Later, after several inquiries, my mom finally discovered that one of the teachers at my school (who still remains anonymous) had learned of our family’s struggle. The teacher nominated us for a special program to provide Christmas for families who could not afford one.

It wasn’t the gifts that saved my family but the generosity of one loving person that reminded us of the true spirit of Christmas.

That holiday inspired me to venture out into the community and help others in similar situations. So when I was in middle school and had the opportunity to volunteer for Toys for Tots, I jumped at the chance. My mom, sister, brother, best friend, and I spent hours putting together bundles of gifts for children in need; it was worth every second.

A few seasons later, I volunteered with Family, Career, and Community Leaders of America. Our chapter sponsored a family for Christmas. We purchased holiday food and gifts for each of them. This act of kindness filled me with the same joy that I had experienced waking up that special Christmas morning years ago.

As I look back on all I have done, I know that my greatest achievements involve helping others. Although not all my volunteer work has been devoted to helping the less fortunate during the holidays, that activity was definitely the most rewarding. I look forward to doing it again, and strongly encourage others to as well.