Finding a Way to Make a Difference | Teen Ink

Finding a Way to Make a Difference

By Sophia Slater BRONZE, Tokyo, Other
Sophia Slater BRONZE, Tokyo, Other

I’m an American born and raised in Tokyo, Japan, so for the last 17 years Tokyo has been my home and community. On March 11, 2011 a huge earthquake and tsunami devastated the northeastern Tohoku region of the country; more than 18,000 people died and hundreds of thousands were displaced. Donations poured in from around the world but a lot of this aid wasn’t reaching those who needed it, and when it did, it often wasn’t suitable. For example, people were donating books in languages that no one could read and food that Japanese people would never eat. I really wanted to help but felt overwhelmed. I’d done community service work, things like bake sales and walkathons, but what could a teen do to help after a disaster of this magnitude? I decided to contact people and organizations involved in 3/11 relief, and this is what led me to start the CharmWorks project.

Funakoshi is a fishing town known for its slate, which is often used for roof tiles. The town was destroyed by 3/11; only the elementary school was left mostly intact. To start on the long road to recovery, the women began selling jewelry in the form of charms made by painting designs on pieces of roof slate salvaged from their destroyed houses. The charms became so popular that the women couldn’t keep up with demand. When I heard about their problem through a Tohoku relief organization called “It’s Not Just Mud,” I saw a way I could help. I started CharmWorks in Tokyo, organizing charm-painting sessions for parents, teachers, and students in the community and then finding venues where we could sell the charms. All of the money we make goes directly back up to Funakoshi and is being used for things like helping the fishermen buy new equipment. To date, we’ve raised almost $5000. CharmWorks is now in its third year and since I’m a senior, I’m in the process of passing leadership to a younger student who will continue our efforts after I graduate in June.

When I started CharmWorks, I hoped to make a difference in Tohoku. I didn’t realize what a difference CharmWorks would make in my life. This project is a way I can give back to the larger community I belong to and to my adopted country, which makes me feel a great sense of satisfaction and achievement. I’m also learning valuable organizing, communicating, and problem-solving skills. As a young woman, I’m inspired and energized by the Funakoshi women’s strength in the face of terrible adversity. And blogging for the HuffPost about CharmWorks and Tohoku relief is teaching me more about the power of writing to reach out to people and contribute to change. One of the most important lessons I’m learning is how even a small effort can have an impact for everyone involved. If you feel like you want to do something to help but aren’t sure how, just jump in and see where it leads. You’ll find a way to make a difference that’s right for you.

Through starting the CharmWorks project, I have learned a lot of valuable lessons about leadership, community, and how a society recovers after a natural disaster as devastating as the March 11, 2011 earthquake and tsunami in Japan. I hope that others will read my story and be inspired to help those in their communities who are in need.