Courage is not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it | Teen Ink

Courage is not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it

By krrishkothari BRONZE, Mumbai, Maharashtra, Other
krrishkothari BRONZE, Mumbai, Maharashtra, Other

“Mumbai gang-rape live: 23-year-old photojournalist serious but stable, says hospital official”. “Pizza boy attempts to rape woman, assaults her”

Every morning I read the newspaper it is disturbing for a Mumbai-ite like me who never expected the city of my birth to become so unsafe for young girls and women. It opened my eyes to the daily pressure on girls and urgent need for them to learn self defence. I took it upon myself in a small way to contribute to this need of the hour.

As a seven year old I remember walking into a dojo, a martial art training facility and being one of many small children getting thrown repetitively on the mat while learning judo. I wondered why I am being made to go for judo lessons, while some of my friends went for dance classes wearing colourful clothes and a good many went for football in their favourite club jerseys.

After a decade of training I cleared the black belt exam, sensei, my judo coach, explained that it is my duty to share my knowledge. He, a former Olympian explains that one should be self-motivated and pursue the goal in spite of the hurdles one has to face. I have been inspired from him to get up every time I fall in any field of life.

Today having taught over 200 women along with my friend who is a Taekwondo Gold medallist, I feel a sense of fulfillment. I have resolved that wherever I go I will continue sharing techniques for self-protection.

Women, in India especially, are embarrassed to report such events. It’s gratifying that at least some women are no longer scared and are equipped to safeguard themselves. I too learned that courage is not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. I always stress on how to effectively use all of your senses to escape from any threatening circumstances. I love to tell the children, “Learn it, enjoy it and use it to protect your family and friends. There is no fear when the mind and body are strong. That’s what Judo teaches you.”

Being part of the vibrant Youth Community which constitutes India’s 40% population, the changemaker in me is propelled to engage in social causes for the country’s benefit.

For me, judo is not just winning competitions but a way of life.

I like to share the benefits of judo not only with possible victims of assault but with all, as this art which works on the principal of maximum efficiency of mind and body helps in promoting moral conduct, removes despondency and one turns proactive, disciplined as is my personal experience.

Preeti said...
on Jan. 9 2014 at 8:36 am
Krrish, Nice Article. Self Defence has largely become Need of the Day. Thanks for enlightening us in a right way.

Amishi said...
on Jan. 8 2014 at 3:16 am
Continue the good work