"Good Sam" | Teen Ink

"Good Sam"

December 15, 2013
By Jade-Lynn Diaz Leonardo BRONZE, Melbourne, Florida
Jade-Lynn Diaz Leonardo BRONZE, Melbourne, Florida
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

As a part of a very cohesive school, I along with many others have joined together to fund raise and show awareness to the Solar Lights for Africa charity. I began volunteering because I felt that I needed to make a difference in someone's life whether it be the most minimal difference or the biggest difference. I am president of the Solar Lights for Africa global outreach program at Melbourne High School. It is very enjoyable to do car washes and fundraisers at local food places to raise money to put up solar panels to orphanages and schools in Uganda. Our partnered school in Uganda in names Good Samaritan School. “Good Sam” have grade levels from first to twelfth. In the past two years we have raised enough money to put up about 3 solar panels in the girls, boys and teacher dormitories. Not only are we sending solar panels, we are also sending teacher bags filled with Melbourne High School t shirts and school supplies. In the last year we have sent over an iPad to communicate in a more convenient way. The iPad allowed us to connect with the individuals of Good Sam and make a close bond with them. This experience has taught me not to take what I get in life for granted because even the simplest things that one might not pay much attention to, can be life changing for someone else. This is truly my favorite organizations because we literally are making peoples lives a brighter place, and to see all the difference that can be made across the world in truly amazing.