An Education, for a Price | Teen Ink

An Education, for a Price

By winona2468 BRONZE, Princeton, New Jersey
winona2468 BRONZE, Princeton, New Jersey

Parents in countries across the globe consider education essential for their child’s success. However, in countries like China, where bribery and connections are all it takes to achieve this goal, the chance of a top education is slim for anyone a little bit less than rich. Chinese parents who only want the best for their children are forced to pay illegal or overwhelming amounts of money that vary with each family. China’s “state-run education system” has become based on wealth, where “cash is king” and everything has a price tag, whether it be a front-row seat in a classroom, points on an admission test, or the attention of a bigoted teacher. While poor children are discriminated, others can attend elite schools solely because of their parent’s background or bank account. The only solution, some parents feel, is to reject a Chinese education entirely and send children overseas to a fairer society.

This corrupted education system is found in not only China, but in many countries across the world where there is a clear divide between the upper and lower class. This problem is an important issue because the illicit system teachers are using hurt students that could thrive if they had a better education. It is completely outrageous and unfair that students are given very different experiences based on their parents’ income. Wealth should not be an issue in the opportunities given to a child because being rich does not make you bright, and being poor should not make you ignored. The fraudulent teachers and tainted school systems need to be remodeled because, as of now, these countries continue to cast aside everyone without a thick wallet.

Work Cited:

Levin, Dan. "A Chinese Education, for a Price." Asia
Pacific. The New York Times, 21 Nov. 2012. Web.

08 Dec. 2012.