Young Men's Service League | Teen Ink

Young Men's Service League

May 19, 2013
By TravisBall BRONZE, Southlake, Texas
TravisBall BRONZE, Southlake, Texas
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Young Men’s Service League (“YMSL”) of Southlake is an organization of young men and their mom’s that was developed “to assist, serve, and support those who are in need in our community.” In addition to serving those in need, we attend meetings and hold positions to learn leadership skills. My mom and I have been members of YMSL for the past two years.

Through YMSL, we get the opportunity to provide community service to many different charities in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. We have served charities such as Habitat for Humanity, Homeward Bound, Meet and Greet the Troops, GRACE, Special Olympics, just to name a few. I have held different positions over the past two years including Sergeant at Arms and Meeting Coordinator. I was elected to the position of Vice President for my senior year.

My favorite experience has been the special event we organized for the Special Olympics. For the past two years, we put together an Easter Egg Hunt for people in our community with intellectual and sometimes physical disabilities. Kids as young as five to as old as eighteen have come to the Easter Egg Hunt for games, face painting, and an egg hunt. I enjoyed this event because it brought a smile to the kids face when they would win a prize or get their face painted and the kids being happy made me feel good inside.

I enjoy being a part of YMSL for many reasons. I really do like the fact that it allows kids including me to get involved in the community and spend time with their moms and their friends. It helps you create a bond with people that you might not normally hang out with or see very often. Spending this time with my mom helping out others really shows me how fortunate I really am. Seeing the smile on people’s faces when you have finished helping them is a truly amazing experience and it brings joy to my heart knowing that I helped them out.