What's it like? | Teen Ink

What's it like?

February 28, 2013
By DanielaRosas BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
DanielaRosas BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Make sure you wear closed-toed shoes!”

These were the only words of advice I could find from my peers, as I was about to sign up to volunteer at Andre House, a Phoenix soup kitchen. Don’t get me wrong- I’ve had my fair share of volunteering at my local library and community center, however I had no idea what to expect at Andre House. I could only imagine being surrounded by hundreds of bedraggled, sickly, homeless people scrambling over one another like animals to get their food.

My hand trembled as I signed my name on the list. In pen. This is it, I thought, I’ll just have to grit my teeth and go through with it. After all, it is for a good cause.

After school we boarded the bus and began what seemed like a century-long ride to Andre House. Once we arrived, we were greeted by a sturdy, semi worn down building and a view of several disheveled looking people lining the streets, surrounded by bundles of blankets and shopping carts filled with all their possessions.

Inside, it was a whole different story. We were welcomed by a group of adults eager to get us started. After signing in, washing our hands, and putting on gloves, they gave us a tour of the place along with a brief background. I quickly realized how passionate these people were about helping the less fortunate and had a change of mind.

I was put on kitchen duty and began to slice and butter pieces of bread, later to be fed to people along with a serving of fruit salad, crackers, and water. Time seemed to fly by, working alongside the staff and other volunteers. It was almost time to begin serving so I was then moved to the “water table” to fill cups with ice and water for people to take once they ‘d gone through the food line. For the next hour and a half I was greeted with several looks of gratefulness, Thank you’s and God bless you’s. No crazed men or women fighting over the bigger glass of water like I would have expected.

Afterwards, we all helped clean, wash dishes mop floors and collect any left over trash. As we said goodbye to the staff and boarded the bus I was left with a feeling of happiness. I made up my mind and decided to sign up for the next Andre House and if anyone asked me about it I would make it clear that there are no crazy vagabonds or scary staff, only selfless people devoted to helping others going through a rough patch.