The Paint-A-Thon | Teen Ink

The Paint-A-Thon

February 28, 2013
By Jennii.boo BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
Jennii.boo BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Swooooosh!”

To start off my bright morning, the sun was glaring in our eyes and ricocheting off the bus’s windows. Our bus had just arrived at this little rectangular building that the elderly woman we were assigned to called home.

I started to imagine how she would look like and how nice she was. I was like a little five year old dreaming up a fairytale. It was great.

I had begun feeding off of everyone’s energy to start cleaning up the nice little property. Everyone there was participating in the paint-a-thon. The paint-a-thon was where we volunteer to paint a house. Of course, where this older lady lived, was not a house, it was a mobile home.

I felt great to know that I was going to work with plenty of my friends that morning on our community service project. Because I was with my amigos, I didn’t feel as lonely like Eeyore would on many of the Winnie the Pooh’s episodes.

As I was assigned to do my first job, I was super motivated. My job was to clean her miniature garden in front of her door step. I began to organize her little garden I realized then and there that I had never planted flowers in a garden before, not even my own. It was amazing.

When the afternoon drew close, the sun began to cook my skin just like an oven would cook a un baked cookie. It was hot!

My next job was to help paint the window shades with my friend from cheer. Of course, standing on that ladder made me sweat up a storm. I was on an unstable milled. There were rocks spread around all over the grounds face.

While I was painting, I could see the change that my fellow friends and I were making, we were helping a woman who cannot do these tasks any longer. It felt great to know that we put the time to help others just like the small ancient woman.

As the coordinators told three other girls and I too place these flower pots on her driveway, we rushed to finish the job. BUT as soon as we placed these pots of life, our guiltless women came out and uttered to us not to place them in there. She said it in a scolding way,”DON’T PUT THEM THERE!”

She pointed firmly at her fake flower garden. At that moment what I envisioned was not who I thought she was, but I have to remember she is not a young women anymore. She has her sharp attitudes, but that how older people are. It is not on purpose and all of us knew that. Therefore, we all gave her a puzzled look, but began to proceed.

As we took out these old, broken, bogus flowers, I squealed, “AGHHHHHHH, there are crickets in here!” Never would I ever think such a surprise would jump out of that mess. All the girls that were helping to were shouting too. Like my friend Angel, “OMG!” Never judge a flower pot by its appearance, I’d say.

Throughout that community service I told myself, this is such an astonishing project, I love helping others, and this is worth it.

Going to help helpless folks, creates an opportunity for experience and lovely jitters inside.

When I finished that project that afternoon I started to reminisce, I said to myself. “I can remember the first time my school’s coordinator said we are going to do the Paint-a-thon this year and called dibs in my small boney skull.” It was hilarious because I was determined to do that service.

That service was a dream that came true.