Painting Memories | Teen Ink

Painting Memories

February 28, 2013
By Antonia.C BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
Antonia.C BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Can you please take care of the toddler’s in the back room?,” a staff member asked me as I entered the building at the UMOM New Day Center.

I had previously only prepared myself to just read to little kids that somewhat understood the words that uttered from my mouth, but now I was faced with the challenge of taking care of kids that did not even know how to count. As I entered the room, I was overwhelmed by the mountains of toys that barricaded my path and the splashes of colors that layered the walls. Some children were deeply entertained by the magnetic alphabet that lay on the refrigerator, and others were busy screaming from the top of their lungs. The wailing of some of the children sounded like sirens that were rushing to the rescue, but nothing seemed louder than the weeps of their cries.

One of the kids approached me with sparkling eyes and bright shining teeth, and exclaimed “Can you help me paint a picture?”

“Of course!” I answered, even though I was not the most artistic person in the world. I handed the boy some wrinkled paper, paint, and an old paintbrush that looked like an overused broom. He sat on the old swaying chairs that were farthest away from all the uproar and set his material down on the table. As the boy began painting his creativity on paper, I fidgeted with another brush that was laying around. The kid seemed to have no trouble painting by himself. So I left.

I looked around the room and noticed that I was not the only nervous one about making a mistake. The eyes of a little girl that sat in the corner danced swiftly from side to side as she saw a myriad of children run past her. I imagined how it must feel to always be in the dark hiding away from everyone. The little girl proved to have overcame her shyness by stepping out into the spotlight. I came back to my senses. She noticed that I was glaring at her ,and with a curiosity she slowly drew near me. To my surprise, on her way towards me she picked up a toy and set it in front of me.

“A B C D…” she murmured as she sat on the floor next to me.
I began to play with the little girl and watch as she grew more and more comfortable being with other people. When she began playing with the other little kids, you could see the faint color of pink slowly rising to her cheeks. The little girl was giggling and having the time of her life now that she had new friends. It was as if I watched a butterfly unravel out of its cocoon and finally begin to fly. That day was a grand day for her, she had learned how to make new acquaintances, be more outgoing, and have more fun!

I hope to volunteer in more organizations that will work with children and help them grow more as people. Becoming a more extroverted person will allow one to socialize and open doors to new opportunities. Like the little girl that I met when I went to read to me, I also have proliferated my life with new people that have helped me have a new perspective on life.