A Box of Gratitude | Teen Ink

A Box of Gratitude MAG

By BaerPrint SILVER, Fairfield, Connecticut
BaerPrint SILVER, Fairfield, Connecticut

If you do not breathe through writing, if you do not cry out in writing, or sing in writing, then don't write, because our culture has no use for it.
Anais Nin

The church hall was crowded when I pushed the door open. Great, I thought. Just great. I had been nothing but chipper the whole morning, sitting through the service, talking to a plethora of people, always smiling. I was running out of fake merriment. My mother, of course, had selected a tactical position at the far end of the room. It would take me at least half a dozen polite conversations with other church-goers before I could get close enough to drag her away from her socializing. Today was especially crowded because there was a charity event for families in India.

Now don't get me wrong, I love to do my part. But today my patience was running low. So I started the expedition to my mother, avoiding eye contact and nonchalantly dodging every conversation starter thrown my way.

When I finally reached her, she said, “I give you points for persistence.” Even I couldn't deny the comedic nature of our usual routine. “I know you want to leave but I can't yet. I have twelve spots left on the board. Mind sticking around for another half hour?” Her casual assumption that I would be glad to throw away another half hour of my life was frustrating. However, I knew there was really no way around her need to stay, and so we would.

“Fine,” I surrendered, scanning the room for someone under the age of 80 to talk to. On my way over to my friend Olivia, I noticed a pile of pamphlets. I picked one up and started thumbing through it. Uniforms and school books: $30; Medication, vaccinations, and protective bug netting: $26; Wheelchairs: $75. I continued to look through the booklet, scanning the prices with all of the opportunities until I got to the back cover. There, written in silver script, was one sentence: This Christmas give the gift of life. Cheesy and cliché as that might be, I decided to donate.

I selected a chicken farm for $15, which would provide food, income, and hope to a family for many years. I went to the booth where many donors were waiting to make a difference in someone else's life. I inched along in line until I reached the pile of manila folders and the smiling representative.

“Would you like to select a family? Or may I select one for you?” she asked.

“Umm …” I shifted uneasily. “I'm fine with anybody.” She selected a file from her looming stack and pulled out a paper containing info on a family whose lives, she promised, I would change. Then she handed me a package, saying, “This family requested that their donor receive this.”

I took the delicately wrapped package and made my way to the nearest windowsill to sit. My fingers moved to the seal on the delicate bag. I removed the thin brown paper, and what I found was unexpected.

It was a small pewter box with painted stones. I ran my fingers over the box. I didn't understand. Why had I received this? I lifted the delicate lid. The interior was lined with worn blue fabric that had been glued in with a sticky brown substance that leaked slightly over the rim. In that instant I realized something: A family with nothing had given me something. My impatience from that morning faded, and I decided I needed to do more to deserve this. I picked up another pamphlet and thumbed through the pages, marking everything I could afford. I got back in line and waited until I reached the front.

“Haven't I seen you before?” the lady asked, smiling. I told her that I wanted to add to my ­donation. And within two minutes I had sent medication, food, clothing, and other aid packages to my sponsored family.

When I had finished paying, I went to find my mom.

“You made a donation?” she asked, nodding toward my box. “Thanks for the extra time. Ready to go?” Admittedly I was glad I had stayed. I thought about how petty my impatience had been.

“Hey, Mom?”

“Yeah?”

“I'm sorry if I rushed you.” I felt the last of my bad mood dissolve as my mother assured me she hadn't felt rushed.

During the ride home, I held the box, tracing its unique pattern. I looked out the window as houses and people flew by. I knew I would never look at them the same way again. The life I led was a blessing. I truly understood that now.

I was inspired to write this piece when I saw the box from the story on my shelf. I felt that I was able to accurately show how much this event changed my views.