Community Volunteer Work | Teen Ink

Community Volunteer Work

By NerdRage BRONZE, Cleburne, Texas
NerdRage BRONZE, Cleburne, Texas

Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.

Volunteerism, in its conceptual form, includes the individual or collective efforts of willing individuals, known as volunteers, to act in ways which work toward the betterment of oneself, other individuals, communities, or society. This definition remains subjective in its ambiguity regarding the meaning of betterment, as well as in the sense that the means to bettering oneself may be in direct opposition to the means necessary to better another individual or society. Despite the subjectivity of this definition, this general description of volunteerism is necessary for communication within the same framework and reference.
Being a part of community service can change the lives of many people. In the Detroit News, April 16, 2005 there was a headline titled "Volunteer Work Opens Teen's Eyes to Nursing." It was about a thirteen-year-old boy named John Prueter who would visit his great-grandmother regularly when she was in the hospital. After she was transferred to Alterra Sterling House, an assisted-living home in Hampton Township, Prueter would also visit the other elderly people too. He helped them with whatever they needed help with and if there were nothing for him to do, he would sit and talk to them. Many students could learn from John Prueter's experience because volunteering with the elderly really changed his life. If more people were to be like John Prueter and volunteered at places, they might find how much they enjoy the work and it might change their lives too. Being involved in community service activities can change someone’s attitude toward situations and life in general. It can make a person realize that life is not just about having fun or making money, it is also about making a difference in someone's life, and maybe even your own.
In my community, I volunteer once or twice a week to help rebuild an old park. The park, called Chisholm Trail, was the home to the first courthouse in Johnson County, TX. Working to reconstruct such a monument to my cities history is a real honor for me. The people are friendly, and it’s actually a pretty fun job. I’ve built schoolhouses, outhouses, and I’ve even been able to help make repairs to the courthouse itself. Volunteering has opened my eyes to things that I had never seen before. Instead of focusing solely on myself or my needs, I have the opportunity to open myself up to the world and make a difference.

I wrote this because it was a contest and I hope it will open someone's eyes to the satisfaction of volunteer work.