New Adventures | Teen Ink

New Adventures

By Destiny Leyvas BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
Destiny Leyvas BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona

The room was pitch black. My senses were forced to crawl out of hibernating. I could start to make out two tiny figures approximately three feet away. They were silent, even if they did say anything I was concentrated too much on the repugnant smell to notice anything else. What did I sign up for? I thought I was going to work with children not stand in a dark room gagging for air.

That was first time I visited Melissa and Emily. They were the two figures in the dark room. They are also my new adventure.

My aunt liked to volunteer at a homeless and to teach me a lesson, she decided to take me with her. I was 12 years old, and it was the last thing I wanted to do. I remember telling her that I would rather go without food for a week then go. Now looking back to that statement I regret my choice of words.

The Sunshine Rescue Mission, a homeless shelter in Flagstaff, Arizona, is home to many. Now don’t be fooled by its name. At times there was no sunshine, but there was always hope. Hope for a better life. Hope for more chances. Hope for a new adventure.

My aunt gave me the job of trying to get along with the children. Normally that would be easy, but my heart was beating so fast, my throat felt dry and whenever I got near a child my age, I would chicken out and run behind my aunt’s legs. I was safe there away from the awkwardness of making friends. The whole night I was there, I made it my goal to hide. I was able to run from my fort behind my aunt’s legs into a dark room she showed me earlier. I had no idea what I was doing or what I gotten myself into. The room was dark, darker then my room in the middle of the night, and I was afraid something might come and pop out at me. My heart was beating faster and faster. Hands reached out to prepare me for what might happen. When I got into the middle of the room, I realized I wasn’t the only one in the room. Our eyes meet. They were just like me. We were about the same age except I was bigger, my hair was shiny and tied together in pigtails with a pink ribbon while theirs were tangled and tied with rubber bands and old shoe laces. Why were we so different but the same? Unlike the other encounter with children my age I was able to talk.

“Hi,” that’s all I said. I knew they were afraid to but the three of us were drawn together for some unknown reason. Melissa was the only one who would talk to me at first, but in the end, we were able to break out of our shell and became close friends. We talked and got to know each other and in just ten minutes, we clicked. My aunt found me and was surprised to find me interacting with others. Sadly, we had to go but before I did I had do one last thing. I pulled out my pigtails and gave each girl one of the ribbons I caught them glancing at. Their eyes shone brighter than the sun and moon combined together.

Since our accidental encounter, Melissa, Emily, and I had many adventures. We discovered more about each other and went on the emotional roller coaster of growing up. After two months of visiting them at Sunshine Rescue Mission they found a home. They were one of lucky ones who got a new adventure. Just like I did.

Looking back on the times I spent with them, I realize that just by being their friend or even giving them a pink ribbon made them happy. That day at Sunshine Rescue Mission changed me. I figured out that there’s more to life, and I began to understand new things. I had an urge to help anyone and to try to make other’s eyes shine like Melissa and Emily’s. I don’t get to see them anymore, but I still hear from them. They tell me of the new things they have been up to and whenever we end our conversation they always have to end with, “Thanks.” That one word fills my heart with joy every time I hear it. I enjoy helping others and I hope to one day I can pursue a career in it in the future.