Baby Cheeks | Teen Ink

Baby Cheeks

By EmelynL BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
EmelynL BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona

The bang of thunder quivered my body. it seemed as if there was an earthquake, as everyone jumped and huddled around their family, but it was just the struck of lightning down the block. As more and more families appeared, the more giggles and laughter I heard. it was surprisingly my first time volunteering; I was at a soup kitchen that was being held in the cafeteria of my church.

I wondered, " why am i even here? I'd be better off at the movies with my friends." But I just those negative remarks to the side and started serving. I served the people without a single expression on my face; it seemed as if the people noticed my horrid face and the uncomfortable tension that I brought to the table, and wanted nothing to do with me, but i just had to suck it up and deal with it because I wasn't going anywhere within the next 5 hours.

Putting on a smile was not all that bad ,I actually started receiving "thank yous" and "God bless yous." It made my insides feel good. It was going well until a very poor family walked in. The women had three and children and walked in alone, so I supposed she had no husband. The women walked up to me with her baby girl in arms; I couldn't believe my eyes, she was the most precious baby I have ever seen! She had chocolate hair, candy blue eyes and cheeks that were the size of oranges and when she said, "souppie please," my heart struck gold! It was as if I were to begin to get teary eyed, it's hard to believe that there are also babies out on the street who wonder when their next meal will be.

"Of course you can sweetie," I said with great happiness, I even gave the family a little extra, because I knew they needed it. I stopped to think that I sometimes don't want what i have and there are people out their wishing they had the simple things to be able to get through the day. If it wasn't for the cheeky girl, I don't think i would have opened my eyes to a whole new world.