A Strong Walk | Teen Ink

A Strong Walk

By Lisa Martinez BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
Lisa Martinez BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona

The time was 5:00 am, and it was way too early to be up on a Saturday morning. When I was younger, I hated waking up early if it had no benefit for me. I got off my bed slowly and put on a bright blue shirt I helped design the day before at a NJHS meeting. I already knew I had got up on the wrong side of the bed. What I didn’t know was that on this particular Saturday morning I would learn so much and gain much more gratitude towards what I am blessed with.

I met up with my friends and found myself extremely drained when I began to think about the 5 miles I would soon walk. My friends were hyped up and gave me coffee to start the walk a little better. When the coffee began to kick in, I was then fully awake. My eyes opened and viewed the surroundings around me. There were many people in support of a disease they devoted their life to. Before the walk there was a mini-speech to get us pumped up. As I looked around, I saw people with shaky hands and others in wheel chairs. I did not understand at all. I grabbed a pamphlet and began to see things more clearly.

Multiple sclerosis is a disease commonly found in people between the age of 20 and 40 years old. The disease begins by damaging the central nervous system. People with multiple sclerosis begin to lose control of their body. Some begin to have muscle spasms and they tend to become weaker each day till lifting up a pencil becomes an impossible task for them.

I felt extremely selfish as I thought back to my morning. It also explained why some people were in wheelchairs. They were here in hope of finding a cure or a way to make their life a bit easier. They filled me up with such hope that the walk seemed to short.

After the walk, we were given a free pass to the zoo. As my friends relaxed I decided to take the extra mile. Soon after, my legs felt as if they were trampled on by everyone there but it was worth it. I walked with families who were coping with the issue. A mother had come up and thanked me for walking with her. The gratitude I felt from her made my heart feel warm. They were grateful that many came to support them in their journey. They explained how eye opening it was to see people change in just days and their difficulty to understand the disease. Luckily some found support groups to help them out. They gained their strength thanks to others.

A simple walk and gain of knowledge changed my viewpoint of life. I have become so grateful for the good health I was blessed with. I started viewing the phrase “I’m too lazy” as a negative phrase. Many of us say it all the time when we do not want to do something but we do not stop to think. What if one day we really could not go and get the remote control right next to us? Sometimes we need to step back and be grateful for the health we are given.