A Different Summer Experience This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

A Different Summer Experience

by A. F., Stamford, CT

One day I was really bored and could find absolutely nothing interesting to do. I paced around the house for a while until I decided finally to sit down and read the newspaper. There was a section on the community which had a list of volunteer activities ranging from helping in soup kitchens to helping as an electrician.

Why not? I thought. So I glanced at the article and found that it might be interesting to do something and make a difference to someone this summer rather than get a job to benefit only me. I called a number and decided that I wanted to spend my time doing the grocery shopping for an elderly handicapped woman who has since become a good friend. I also decided to do Harbor Watch where I tested the water of Long Island Sound for pollutants.

Finally I was spending my time having fun while making a difference in people's lives. It may not pay in dollars, but the experiences and gratification I gained are infinitely more valuable to me than any amount of money I could have earned.

Lily">This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 10 at 4:19 am
i love this so much!