Community Service This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Community Service

by D. H., Bethel, CT Community service is a very important activity. I think every student should be required to work a certain number of hours doing voluntary service.

Recently I worked at a soup kitchen for two hours. It didn't hit me until I arrived how many people are homeless and how many need food. I felt for these people, especially the children.

Before I went to the soup kitchen, I didn't know what to expect. How would the people act? Would they be snotty or gracious? When I arrived everyone scrambled in at once. I served them salad, pasta, a beverage and even dessert. After eating, each received a brown paper bag with two sandwiches in it (for dinner).

Working at the soup kitchen was an experience I will never forget. I have many things that I take for granted - a closet full of clothes, a warm and cozy house, and yet I'm always asking for more. These people don't even have a house to protect them from the winter. I wish everyone would have a chance to see what the less fortunate do not. It can teach you the lesson not to take everything for granted.