Community Service | Teen Ink

Community Service MAG

By Anonymous

   Community Service

by M. C., Fitchburg, MA

Is community service a requirement at your high school? If it is, here are a few things that not only fulfill the requirement, but they are also activities I found to be very rewarding.

Join in on a community clean-up or try participating in the walk for AIDS like I did the past two years. Another suggestion is to try volunteering at your local library, doing either outside or inside work. I volunteered at my local library and did outdoor work like raking, picking weeds, and sweeping the parking lot. Plus there is always a day care center that can use volunteers to read the children stories or just someone to play with the kids. Better yet, find out if your local community government or mayor has some small jobs that they could use a few teenage volunteers for. I planted tulip and daffodil bulbs for my city. Or if your school does not recycle, start a recycle club that can meet once a week to collect paper.

No matter what you do for community service, it is both rewarding and hard work. The feeling you get after doing something like the walk for AIDS is something you'll never forget. I urge everyone to get involved, it is one of the most worthwhile experiences a teenager will ever have.